Fluctuating symptoms and swollen throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid about four years ago, prescribied Levothyroxine and have regular three-monthly blood tests.  Mostly, the results come back normal, although my dosage does have to be altered occasionally.  However, although most of the time I feel ok, I have periods when I most certainly don't.  All the original symptoms come back, with fatigue, lethargy and a puffy face being the worst.  Of course, I can never book a blood test during these periods which last about a week to ten days before easing!  The other thing I have noticed is that my throat swells quite noticeably during these times.  Does anyone else experience this?  And shouldn't my thyroid be stable after all this time?   

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes i have something similar....only just started levo but will go for 3 wks feeling ok and then all the syptoms come back.I also have the feeling in my throat like i have a lump and i cant swallow its really annoying
    • Posted

I could understand it Michelle if I'd only just started the treatment, but after four years, I'd have thought it would have settled.  I don't feel as though I have a lump - my throat just  feels very swollen to the touch - just for a week or so and then it goes back to normal.
  • Posted

This may be something that you just have to deal with I was diagnosed at 12 (tens years ago) and I still have spells like this. My thyroid is still not stable, natural hormones can also have an impact on how you feel.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you're having the same sort of thing Janine.  I'm not sure I'm too happy at the thought of just having to put up with it though!  I'm 62 so my hormones have pretty much left the building.  Almost worse than the constant tiredness is the fact that my internal thermostat doesn't work properly so I'm either boiling hot or freezing cold. That and the fact that I've put on over a stone in less than a year.
    • Posted

Make sure you get regular blood tests, it could be a nutrient deficiency (I'm a med student), I see this quite often, the small problems create the most symptoms.
  • Posted

I used to get this too my gp gave me a document about a mental health condition that causes this fact feeling of no being able to swallow. I moved gp's  I am guessing that you all have auto immune hypothyrodism.  You were probably having a flare.  These symptoms normall go after a few weeks.  Two years on I do not have flares as much now.

Def worth checking you b12 and vit d and ferrtin levels just in case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.