Fluid above TKR knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 4 months TKR post op and have been on the same roller coaster ride as everyone else. The latest issue has been the most painful and I need some advice. I've recently gotten some new swelling right above my knee and on the right side of it. It's very painful to do my bending excercises and standing and walking has become painful more then normal. My physical therapist is concerned and so is my pain management doctor. They both believe I have fluid build up but don't understand why. My pain management doctor wants me to see a rhumatologist to rule out anything auto immune. I'm starting to get nervous and wanted to know if anyone has experienced this? I don't have a follow up with my surgeon until January 23rd 🙁

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Haven't heard of a ton of people having a "fluid" problem...mostly swelling which is absolutely normal, even up to a year.  In the past, I had a knee bursa sac problem and that had to be drained by an orthopedic surgeon.  I would suggest a visit to your TKR doc before you go to anyone else.  Could be something very simple.  Rule that out first.

• Posted

Blimey, that’s spooky! I am exact same stage and have exact same thing but I’m putting it down to a 20 mile cycle yesterday including one big hill. Furthest I’ve cycled since op and probably a bit too much so today I’m icing and taking it a bit easier.  Hope it sorts out for you. Paula
    • Posted

At five weeks I did 8,200+ steps on my fit bit and ended up with a balloon knee for a few days.  I learned my lesson and kept track of my steps from then on.  At 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ (5 miles) with no problem.  Your knee will ALWAYS tell you when you pushed it too far...always...
  • Posted

I am 4 months post op, I have been awake most of the night with pain.

I have been doing really well too yesterday, I think I may have twisted my knee yesterday. I had to go back onto strong painkillers but still has pain.

I wish you good luck and I hope you get sorted real soon

• Posted

Wicca,  I had above the knee and left side swelling on occasionally post TKR.  I usually did determine I had done something differently or overdone.  I realize how distressing this can be at 4 months, but keep your head up,

I had it several times.  I was able to place my bed by the wall and would lay in bed, with my legs up on the wall.  This would elevate the swelling initially.  FYI, for me, anytime I had excessive swelling, I had pain, I did see my TKR doc the first time to be sure everything was OK.  I have had swelling pop up several times during recovery.  Learned to be good to me...elevate and ice.  I always kept doing daily exercises.  Then rest, ice cream Levite.  I will be 2 years post TKR next month.

Good luck,

Pam

• Posted

Thank you for all of your input and advice. I wish I could say I've been over doing it, but besides work and physical therapy, I haven't been doing much of anything. The pain and swelling has deterred me from doing a lot. The swelling has been there for about three weeks and doesn't get better or worse. It just sits there aggravating me. I'm going to hold off seeing a rhumatologist until after I see my surgeon but I'm getting really frustrated because it's affecting my pt and my daily life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.