Fluid drained??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody like my sister, got Osteoarthritis in the knee (fluid) and had it drained.  Many things have been tried (she`s 50) but they never mention draining the fluid off, even though they say that`s why she can`t bend it!!  and struggling with life!....puzzling.  She goes to Rheumatology, not Orthopeadics....Thank You for any answers.rolleyes

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello linda. Has your sister asked them why they won't remove the fluid? If that's what is causing her problems you would think they'd be happy to do it. I have osteoarthritis and currently go th rheumatology but I think they'll discharge me at my next appointment. I was originally referred there because I had a raised Rheumatoid Factor.
  • Posted

It is a puzzle. I have Oesteo & have had several cortizone injections to not lasting effect. I am currently awaiting physio to prepare me for surgery sometime this year, hopefully. My knee was quite badly swollen & very stiff, but draining it was never mentioned. It started after a stumble while out jogging many years ago. It has not healed properly. Ice & rest was all I was offered at the time. 4 weeks off work. 

• Posted

Hi Linda

My partner has issues with fluid build up on the knee and his isn't directly due to arthritis, more to do with bursitis and meniscus tear earlier in life.  OA in the knee is degradation of the joint and/or damage or disease of the cartilage.  OA inflammation can cause a build up of fluid too and vice versa in that meniscus damage can result in arthritis later in life.  Fluid on the knee (effusion) is more commonly associated however with rheumatoid arthritis than osteo arthritis.  My partner has had the fluid drained in the past but it's quite a short term relief as it often recurs.  Mostly they prefer not to drain it but to work on reducing the inflammation that causes it.  If your sister is seen by rheumatology is it definitely OA rather than RA or as with my partner something like bursitis?  

• Posted

It`s strange, because I have been wondering if this is a wait and see situation....The OA or inflammatory arthritis as they sometimes call it, seems to me to fit the RA more.  It was at first called bursitis...miniscus tear....(no damage to cartilage)  They have tried several drugs, and finally Methotrexate, which made my sister extremely ill!....she has to go in two weeks to discuss what`s next, but what is there?  Most people can`t understand how my sister can be left with such a rigid knee....she is now in the process of losing two jobs through this...so obviously we would like some answers.  She dosen`t have raised Rheumatoid factor...only relief she gets is from steroid injections, but they don`t last....thank you for replies!
    • Posted

I really sympathise, when my partner has a flare up with his knee its impossible to drive etc., he's had two periods of certificated sickness in a period of one year and already his employers have started HR procedures against him so he's terrified of losing his job too.  So unfair.  I hope your sister has stopped taking the methotrexate, its a dangerous and horrible drug that can do more harm than good - at one time they only ever prescribed it to cancer patients with nothing to lose.  We don't understand either why more cannot be done - draining the fluid does give benefit, even if it's only short lived and without draining his knee, like your sister's, becomes unbearable and immobilised.  All he's on now is naproxen with a prescription for tramadol 'just in case its needed at night'.  Really unsatisfactory I feel.  
    • Posted

That`s exactly how we feel....yes, she did stop the Mtx, she she was in so much pain, and couldn`t eat for two weeks...dreadful drug.....she has the same painkillers, but, it`s not the answer is it....Very frustrating!
    • Posted

Hello, I remembered this post to me, and wondered if you could answer something for me (my sister really)  Here doctor has said the hospital should drain the fluid off her knee...(they have never suggested this) Did your partner have the fluid drawn off in Rheumatoogy??  They will not refer her to Orthopedics....(originally they said it was Bursitis) but now inflammatory arthritis....stiffness in the knee because fluid is trapped in there....Her doctor has just told her, at 50 she is unlikely to work again.  She is in the process of losing two jobs....someone has told her there is such a thing as sickness redundancy....I hope so for her sake!  Thanks for any info..
    • Posted

Hi Linda.  I asked my partner and he cant remembr which dept at the hospital dealt with it.  He said it was done prior to some surgery. He didn't get the option to have it done again but did say the benefits were quite short lived and as soon as the knee got inflamed again the fluid built up.  He finds if he can get the inflammation to go down, the fluid disperses but it sounds like your sister's issues are more severe and it would benefit her greatly to have it done.  We sympathise about the job situation, my partner is living in fear that the next bout of inflammation will cause him to have time off sick and his employer is brutal about such issues and will suspend him next time.  It's so unfair isnt it.
    • Posted

yes it is very unfair....I hope your partner finds the answers and keeps well.....  Keeping the inflammation down, does sound like the answer, but nothing does it for her...they are now suggesting another drug Sulphazalazine....other than that....steroid injections, but theres only so many allowed in a lifetime apparently!....once again,.thank You.
    • Posted

Hi Linda.  following your reply I did a bit of research into sulphazalazine.  It seems to work by treating the underlying disease rather than just the symptoms - that seems like good news to me.  There are, as with all meds, side effects but it says its safe to use during pregnancy so that would indicate to me its far less dangerous than some other meds.  I hope this helps for your sister.  Do keep us in the loop as it may be something Tim my partner can ask his doctor about.  I'm not convinced about steroid injections. I had one for Morton's Neuroma in one foot - number one it hurt to hell and back and the pain from the injection lasted a whole week and number two the effects wore off so quickly it wasn't worth the distress to be honest.  I guess they work well for some people but on balance I won't bother again, particularly for my hands as I couldn't bear that level of discomfort in that area.  I so sympathise with your problems, it all becomes so frustrating when we just dont seem to be getting clear information from the medical profession and something so basic as arthritis becomes so life restricting.  We're in our 50's and otherwise relatively healthy - ie not overweight, no other underlying disease, no diabetes, etc., we just want to be able to work and support ourselves.  I'm sure its far more cost effective to spend time/money keeping us mobile than to have us go untreated and become dependent on state funded services to support our needs. Conditions like arthritis are I'm sure considered unglamorous to doctors but are so life restricting.  Good luck. xx
    • Posted

Hi Linda , my situation is like toys except I'm in late 60's I've had 3 anterior/ posterior spine surgeries now preparing for ankle replacement and ligament transplant! Someone would think I worked in construction but had a very active gym life that caught up to me. OA is bad and painful. My knee now is bad so I periodically have it drained to great relief. I've been warned not to overdo. Any suggestions?

• Posted

Yes I have done it to great relief by an orthopedic doctor. It lasts about 6 weeks. It is not recommended too often but I'm not ready for ankle replacement. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.