Fluid on knee

Posted , 8 users are following.

im 5 moths post TKR and generally doing well. I have a fluid sac on the back of my knee that seems to worsen the more I walk, also the back of both of my knees really ache. I'm wondering if this could be tight hamstrings. I would be grateful for any suggestions or solutions as I want to be ready for my second TKR in a couple of months thanks folks confused

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris my first reaction regarding the fluid sac is a Bakers cyst but I have been led to believe that these don't recur after TKR. I had one pre TKR . However I do get a tweak back of my knee and the consultant said that it was hamstring and gave me some exercises to do. Maybe a PT or your GP could confirm?
    • Posted

Yes I thought bakers cyst, they are supposed to go on their own I read. I will try and find some hamstring exercises and try them . thank you
  • Posted

Have you tried a deep massage after icing. Something like VitE oil or even tiger balm rubbed in well might help. Others will have suggestion I'm sure. These strange pains come and go but almost debilitating when the hit. Hope you get some relief. One other thing......are you resting the leg or are you going full blast. I guess we all feel like we should be full speed ahead when sometimes the body says slow down. You and I are about the same length of time post op. Yesterday I went for my checkup and got a surprise. I have had a lot of bone pain in the lower leg. He showed me the new X rays and the prosthesis is different than the other two that have been in there. Instead of having a straight pain this one has a split at the bottom so it goes from one to 2 prongs like an upside down Y. He explained the reason for this is they had to drill deeper this time and the way the prosthesis is made the bottom has splines and the Y is like a cushion. The downside, I am looking at 12 to 18 months for complete healing. He did say after I have finished the PT designed to strengthen the leg the pain will slowly go away.
    • Posted

I have been massaging my leg when I go to bed,holding it up in the air and massaging towards my heart, but I've not been icing for some time so maybe that is something to try again. I thought you stopped doing that after a few weeks. As for doing too much hmmmm guilty on all charges. Maybe I need to slow down and take one day at a time. Thank you for your continuing support
    • Posted

Interesting. I am 7 mth out! Not back working (in fact lost job over this, but I just consider it early retirement). I have had swelling and pain from the start. I changed doctors after the one who did the surgery said he couldn't do anything about the swelling and pain and lack of ROM and planned to release me as is. My new doc said the same as you did, may take a year before swelling and pain went away. He tested for reactions to metals and nothing came out showing anything with high levels. But the pain seems to be getting worst now as the swelling is slowly going down. The pain is where the component went into my bone top and bottom. He wants to wait for full 12mths before doing the revision, so that will be in April.  They stopped PT because of the swelling and wont start it back up till all the swelling goes down. I used game ready ice machine 5 times a day and it didn't help. Thanks for letting me know that someone else has had some issues with this. Hardest part has been the long term disability folks, they just dont believe a TKA has issues.

• Posted

Are you elevating the leg where its on a level slightly above your heart. This may help some. Are you in an area that is going through seasonal weather changes with a changing barometer. That alone can drive you crazy with swelling around the joint. Sorry to hear you are having all the problems. One other suggestion is just to back Off excercises completely for a couple of days while icing and elevating. Increase your fluid intake and the start all over on your excercise program working it gently while continuing pain meds. Then ice afterwards. Sorry to hear about the job. Can't imagine a company being that heartless. Having a person in pain is bad enough but to add mental anguish is inhumane.
    • Posted

I agree they are heartless and inhumane, they don't care, it's all about money and they don't want to have to pay it. right now they do, but they said they are reviewing my records because they just can't believe my issues. I have stopped the exercises completely per the doctor. Wants the entire leg to rest to get the swelling gone before the revision. I still walk, and do leg lifts to help the leg, but that is about it right now. I also had my veins done and that helped reduce it by one inch, still 3 inches larger then other leg. Not just knee area, entire leg. I have hard time with pain meds so I just don't take them.
    • Posted

hi mema its hard when things dont settle down  the waiting for a full 12mths for a revision is im afraid standard as it takes that time for the bones to heal i had to wait that time also .i think OFG is right leave it all for a few days just rest and start again the rest will do you good mentaly as well .these ops are very hard on body and mind when it dose not go to plan and im proof of that .its only people that have had these ops understand the impact it has on your life im afraid  i wish you the very best
  • Posted

hi chris im wondering are you able to straighten the tkr leg ?? as ive found that if your leg cant straighten it dose give alot of pain . i would recomend consetrating on the straightening a few times a day to realy stretch the back of the leg .but before you stretch it use a hot water bottle wrapped in something under the knee for awhile to warm up the muscles and it also helps to relax the muscle before the stretch ,when your finished it will probably be really sore witch would indegate that its tight use the ice to calm things down after  ,   i know this seems alot of bother but it really dose work and you will see an improvement good luck to you
    • Posted

Hi, yes I've got a good straight leg,it just aches at the back of my knee. I will defo try the exercises though with a hot water bottle.I think it might be hamstring tightness so the exercise should help. Thanks Linda for your support
    • Posted

Thank you Linda for that piece of advice.  It is the back of my leg that really hurts and my leg is straightish, but not straight enough.  Going to give this a go.  Is I there any particular exercise you would recommend to concentrate on?

Thank you once again.  I think this is a fabulous forum for all of us who have had problems.

Liz x

• Posted

hi liz ya i know how it is getting it straight is as important asthe bend i have a balance board i had it before the op but its now handy for stretching the back of the knee  but you could use the last step of the stairs keep your heels on the floor foot up against the step and lean forward and hold for we say 10 at first but now i hold for count of thirty and relax do 3 sets and try to lean forward more each time but keeping the knees straight its a great pull for the leg .the other one i do is sit on the chair and have another chair in front of you put your leg on the seat in front of you leaving a gap where your knee is not on the chair put a weight either on the knee or hand a bag over your knee and put a weight in the bag you could put a bag of sugar which is a kilo or 2 bags to make it 2 kg and let the leg hang there its very hard at the start gradualy you will be able to stick it longer i got sand and weighed it out and bagged it and put it on the knee just make sure after that you ice it and before warm it up good luck liz
    • Posted

Thank you Linda.  I will give both of these a try.  It's all hard worl but hopefully we'll worth it in the long run.  I noticed very soon after the op that my hip no longer hurts at all.  I thought this might be the case but thrilled that I don't need anything done with my hip.

thanks for your advice.  Very much appreciated.

liz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.