fluid on lungs and swollen ankles

Posted , 5 users are following.

GP put me on spironolactone for fluid on lungs and swollen anklesCardiologist has contacted surgery to say he wants to add 20mg furosemide dailyAny ideas why?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Spironlactone will help to get excess fluids out of your longs and ankles without lowering the potassium levels in your system and furosemide is also for fluid retention also. Both should help your body get back to normal. I would cut your salt intake drastically as this part of the problem. Eat only fresh fruits, vegetables and meats you've cooked yourself as all processed foods are loaded with sodium.

• Posted

Thanks.Slight complication due to oesophagitis and RA is that I can not eat oranges,tomatoes,mint and lots of other stuff I can no longer eat.Trial and error but I will get there plus on the positive side most of the stuff I can't eat are "bad" for you so I am losing weight?

• Posted

Yogurt is a good protein for any meal and is loaded with probiotics which your body needs. Good luck with getting your lungs and swollen ankles back to normal. Have you been diagnosed with a certain heart issue that is causing this?
  • Posted

Furosemide is used to treat fluid on the lungs - I was prescribed this while waiting for my valve repair as I was up twice a night coughing up fluid from my lungs and had to sleep sitting up.  It didn't suit me as I have diverticular disease and it was sucking the fluid from my colon so I had a bad flare and lost a stone in weight!  However obviously it was my bad luck and sure you will be fine, I think also it was worse as I was already on a diuretic bp tablet. Just take note of any side effects you get like constipation, think there is bound to be another diuretic available if it doesn't suit you. All the best to you. 

• Posted

Frusomide clears out excess fluid in your system, especially lungs, works wonders, can Dr hear fluid in your lungs when he listens, wouldn't be surprised having been through what you have, has saved my husbands life a number of times, he has heart failure.

Mum had bad reaction to frusomide, even though she had fluid in ankles, she was not overloaded, if anything she was dehydrated, she became very confused about where and when she was, side effect of being de-hydrated. Taken off frusomide the confusion vanished.

• Posted

Yes,doctor could hear the fluid on lungs. Cardiologist decided to add furosemide because of ankles.This morning could actually see my ankle bones.Am keeping eye on blood pressure as am also on ramipril. Couple more hospital spots for tests (when they come );then hopefully enlightenment ☺
  • Posted

What is your diagnosis then if I may ask?Keep in mind that where the sodium goes the water follows. Try to  have a no salt diet as much as possible. If you are taking furosemide, it would be wise to maintain potassium levels as if you have too much sodium in hte body , potassium  will be affected. Potassium is important for muscle strength,  cardiovascular health. lack of potassium can cause irregular heartbeats, erratic bp and generalized fatigue. Bananas are rich in potassium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.