Fluid Overload in the Lungs Issue

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

My dad is 79 years old and he always have fluid buildup in the lungs very often. The doctor mentioned that this problem is due to his weak heart which has Ejection Fraction of 27%. He frequents to the hospital very often due to this issue. Is there any medication or procedure that can help my dad not have fluid buildup in the his lungs very often? The doctor suggested Pleurodesis but I am not sure whether this will solve the problem. Your kind advise is appreciated, thanks

Regards,

Daniel Louis

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi its been a while since I have seen this website and then I happen to see your question I am 48 and currently on the heart transplant list and I also had a bad fluid retention problem at first but I can gladly tell you its been a while that I have not had that problem I will tell you a couple of medications that were given to me and my current one and hopefully your Dad can mention to his Doctor. At first I was give FORSEMIDE and currently on

Spironolactone 50mg and the main one TORSEMIDE 100mg

• Posted

Hi Gabriela,

Thanks for the reply. The doctor is currently giving my dad Forsemide and Spironolactone. However, TORSEMIDE is not available in our country. My dad is always having pleural effusion issue. This problem always makes him have difficulty to breathe. Besides those medications listed, is there any other methods/procedures or medication that can avoid water buildup in the lungs? The main reason of him having frequent visits to the hospital is due to difficulty breathing because of water buildup inside the lungs.

Appreciate your comment, thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.