Fluid retension

Posted , 3 users are following.

My elderly wife has  developed Fluid retension in her feet and ankles after using the  Fentanyl Patch for aprox.3 weeks. We're not sure if there is a connection or not ?  Has  anyone else had  any similar reactions to the "Patch" ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello, jojomd. The edema your wife is suffering from may be a side effect of the medicine in the patch. Her Dr that put her on this med needs to know right away. In the meantime, have her elevate her feet. Check with the pharmacy to see if there is anything she can use to alleviate the swelling until you can get her back in to the Dr. Also, call the Dr's office and tell the nurse what is happening, they will call you back the same day. Usually. I wish I could tell you more. That's what I would do.
  • Posted

im tryING TOA NSWER OU BUT KEEP havingp roblems with my COMPUTER WILL TRY TO FIX AND GET BACK TO YOU
  • Posted

does your wifehave  heart problems? or diabetes>Why is she on the patch?I dont believe her ankle or feet swelling is from the patch. I have heart problems and diabetes and my legs and feet were swollen befor the patch. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi horvy. I hope you get your computer working right again soon. Jojomd42's wife is swollen in her ankles and feet after 3 weeks on the F patch. It sounds like it may be a side effect of the drug. Nice to hear from you again.
    • Posted

Hi Sunka my keyboard was stickingI cleaned it,its better i hope . If you go on linand look up the f patch and look for complications or side effects it will give you if swollen  feet and ankles is part of the side effects. Like i said i am 65 and had heart surgery( bypass) and myn legs and feett sometimes swell but i dont think its from the F patch.I would like to stop the f patch but when i try my legs hurt so bad and my lower back  that its hard to walk. so the F patch does help; Good luck with your Wiffie keep in touch. Steve.
    • Posted

Hi horvy. Lol. It isn't me with the swelling. It's another patients wife. Jojomd42? I think that's his name. All of the Dr's where I'm at don't think anyone should be on any kind of opiates for pain relief. They're all scared. I guess the college they all went to brainwashed them with statistics that any dose is lethal. I want to tell them a few things short of slamming them against the Wall. I'm very p.o'd at 3 of them. They all work together. I drive 106 miles to see a competent pain management Dr. They all think they're experts. What a laugh! When they've done this for 20-30 yrs, and have their own private practices, then they can tell me what experts they think they all are. They work in a hospital clinic. Experts my a**!
    • Posted

Hi sunka Its  a long story here is as short as i can get, Broken back in 2007 Hydrocorden 10-325 for 6 years changed ins. Humana Dr Kapulski in Ormond beach. ( no Choice) didnt like me ????? sent me to pain management. This doc took me off the Hydro put me on the patch . I requested the pill so i could control what and when i needed, Now i have no choice Been on the patch 7 months and cant get off of it . Im at my doctors mercy. Cost me 5 times more than my previouse med ( that worked). Any suggestions what to do my friend???????
    • Posted

You had a broken back, and all they gave you was 10 mgs of hydrocodone?!!!!! That's just cruel. I had good pain mngmnt before I moved to this state the first thing they did was cut me to half of what I was on without knowing why I was on that dose. Change Dr's if you can. Tell him the patch isn't helping any more. Ask for what you know works. Don't let them treat you like that.
  • Posted

Hi jojomd42. Any progress on your wife's swelling? Obviously, something is causing her to swell up like that. Has she experienced anything like this before?
    • Posted

20 years ago my wife needed a Heart Bypass Operation and a few years later was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes controlled by Diet and Tablets. Over the following years her Metformin was gradually increased to 360mg daily. Her Doctor after numerous tests, decided to reduce her  Metformin to 180mg daily. Then the Doc upped her Fentanyl Patch to 25mg Up to now and after only 10 days her Fluid Retention seems to be improving. It's  early days, BUT, will keep you informed. Regards, John.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.