Fluoroquinolone antibiotics and tendon problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Taking cipro and other Fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause tendon problems including tendonitis and tendon rupture.These drugs are too dangerous to take.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes they can cause problems but before they’re prescribed I’m sure the doctor makes sure the benefits of them outweigh the risks. There’s side effects to every drug so it’s also up to the person taking them to read the information leaflet to see what the side effects are
  • Posted

I know what you mean, Donald. I apparently torn my Achilles at the insertion point back in August. Had numerous treatments and meds before i decided on surgery in March. My surgeon had me on three different Fluoroqinolone antibiotics over a course of 8 weeks after the surgery. His reason, to keep my incision from getting infected and to stop my body from rejecting the screws and wires i now have. I did fine with all the other Fluoro antibiotics until he put me on Levofloxacin. Within 3 days of taking it, I started having problems with my arms, severe in both and could not raise them up. I immediately stopped taking it. It has been 3 weeks now and i still have pain. My doctor doesn't think that is what caused it but my pharmacist says it does happen, he has seen it before. And thinks i probably have some tendon tearing in both arms now. His suggestion go to a different doctor, tell him what happened and try to get him to order an MRI of both arms to see if it caused the damage he thinks it did. And to also get them to check my surgery site to make sure everything is still in place. So that's what I am doing tomorrow morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.