Fluorouracil painful skin cream

Posted , 5 users are following.

My dermatologist prescribed fluorouracil for my "precancerous" skin leas ions.

does anyone have any ideas for relieving the burning? 

Ijust finished my treatment after 20 days. It still burns.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you reported the continued burning to your doctor?  They will let you know what (if anything) is acceptable to use.  You might want to ask them if using aloe gel/juice is okay for this.  Definitely talk to your doctor.  Hope things get better!
    • Posted

Thank you. I called a week ago but I wasn't in this much pain.

i will call her today.

• Posted

https://patient.info/medicine/fluorouracil-for-sun-damaged-skin-efudix-actikerall

Hello Bunnie, I expect you have already read this page.  It describes the bruing that you mention.  When do you see your Dermatologist again, were you given an SOS number to ring?  They might suggest taking Paracetemol.  I would ring the SOS number and talk to them.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. Last night was horrible. I am beginning to peel. 

Thanks for your advice. I WILL call my Dr. Today.

• Posted

Sorry, my keyboard did its own thing, that should say burning!
  • Posted

Wow. It turns out that I had an even worse reaction to the Fluorouracil. I had to go in to my Dr. She prescribed a pain med. and Desonide cream for the burn. Now I am home and hole to finally get some rest.
  • Posted

Hi, Bunnie:  Hope the burning is gone by now thanks to the Desonide cream, but I am wondering if the precancerous skin leisons have disappeared?  I suspect they have and hope you can protect your skin from any new ones.  Sounds like you have found a good dermatologist.
    • Posted

The Desonide cream has been wonderful. I'm healing but it will take about 11/2 more. The good news is that the 2 age spits should come off too.
  • Posted

Hi Bunnie,

You have my sympathy, as I have been using Efudix off and on for the last 14 years for my Actinic Keratosis, so I know all about the pain, burning and itching it causes.

My doctor has prescribed a steroid cream for me to use if my skin is really sore after using Efudix.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes, I was prescribed the cream and some pain meds.  I am doing much better after about 9 days of pain, 
  • Posted

I had EFUDIX prescrined for my pre-cancer condition on my face. It is a chemotherapy cream. It comes these days with finger condoms so that none gets on to healthy skin. I had a terrible reaction to this cream and went to the pharmacist to show the dreadful condition of my skin. I was told to immediately come off it. I also had azote treatment and this has left me terribly scarred especially beneath my eyebrow. The skin now scales causing me to tweezer sheets of it off. This doesn't help at all as it all returns. There is no use using conditioning cream as none of it can get through this scale barrier. Now I am trying baby talc at night in the hope the scaling will become softened and come off easier. Its a terrible condition to live with. I would not recommend azote burning on the face. When I had it done my natural reaction was to put my hand over my eye. I was told not to do this as it wasn't necessary!  However its a natural movement as if the hands slip off the gas cylinder, who will suffer?  With EFUDIX I had real unsightly problems. I consider it very dangerous as so easy for it to go onto surrounding healthy area which will burn it as well as the area to be treated. Also who wants to walk around with blobs of white cream on the face? I am loathe to use it again but now have really hard lumps of skin along my clavicle. Anybody got any other ideas? The burning Bunnie I was told is 'normal' and should be left alone.  Burning sensation after azote treatment is even worse and tears ran down my face after it. I tend to call it torturous treatment but it seems there is no other was to get rid of this pre-cancerous condition. Where do you have yours?  So sorry to learn of your burning sensations and can sympathize with you as been through it time and time again. Which of course rather points to it being a recurring condition! It never really goes away.  Best regards
  • Posted

Does anybody know if one can use EFUDIX if on the FENTANYL PATCH? One is a chemotherapy cream and the other is morphine which enters the blood and goes to the brain to pass signals.  I would reckon they are not compatible but can anybody let me know please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.