Fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my experience with this drug.

I was put on 'Prozac' hmmm 5 months or so ago because of mild depression...you know, crying, feeling sad and down....but I didn't have any major mood swings, no suicidal thoughts....I was a pain in the butt to live with but hey, depression get's you like that sometimes...

Anyway...I started off on 20mg a day...after 2 months this was increased to 40mg a day as there seemed to be no real effect. *sighs* I now realise that I became completely under the control of this drug. My moods were and are erratic. I suffer from paranoia, psychosis and obsession. irrational behaviour, aggression, constant headaches, poor sleep, fatigue and eye pain and yes, suicidal thoughts and attempts. The only good side is the weight loss wink

Probably the worst part of all of this hell is not knowing, not realising what you are doing, believing that you are right and everyone else is wrong, it's almost (I imagine) like schizophrenia....I have lucid moments between the drugs kicking in again.....seeng the pain in loved ones eyes as yet again you rip them apart. I hate it, and it scares me that at times I am not really in control of me.

I have had several 'episodes' where I can only describe my behaviour as 'mad'....and I hate it, hate this 'thing' that I have become on Fluoxetine/Prozac....the last one being yesterday...I am still living with the devastation that particuar one caused!!

And I'm angry, angry that the GP didn't advise me to discuss the effects of this drug with my loved ones who could look for and spot any erratic behaviour....because once in the grip of an episode, everyone else is wrong, you simply do not listen.

I'm still on Fluoxetine, but have halved my dose. This week I am going back to the GP and seeking advice on coming off this drug and seeing what else may help me.

I know that for many, this drug truly is a life saver, but for me and those around me that love me, it has become my personal hell. Before you take any medication, please research it, so that atleast those close to you can understand and know the symptoms to look out for.

Take care

Sam

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I've been on 20mg for only 4 weeks and I've had exactly the same experience as you.

Irritability, aggression, being convinced I'm right. I've had to hold myself back from hitting loved ones when I've got into arguments. Yes my depression has stopped but it's damaging my relationships with others.

I'm going to try 10mg and see if this reduces these side effects. I would recommend anyone to consider taking AS SMALL A DOSE AS POSSIBLE and be very wary of going up even to 20mg. In my opinion just taking the edge off depression is better than the negative effects you get from higher doses.

Tom

• Posted

ok now im worried lol i just took my first prozac because i just got them today and im on 20mg but im going to see how they afffect me before i make any rash decisions lol
  • Posted

hi there i have been not well i have 5 children . from 12yrs down to a baby i have depressision went to the doctur and told him im feeling really down cant keep still all ways worrying about minor things dont sleep well at all having really bad dreams dont like waking out of my house etc . so he put me on dipazipan \"dont know if i spelt that right\"! any way 5 days later it turned me into a monster and i couldnt cope at all i mean not at all my children ended up in rest bite fo 12days because of it it was a nitemare .
  • Posted

Well, time for an update I guess......

Part of my paranoia associated with this drug (or so I thought) was that my partner and my best friend were having an affair....well, that was my gut instinct and the Fluoxetine just magnified that by ohhh about 1000!!

I'm off the Prozac now.....and surprise surprise....they were having an affair!! (He confessed), (including in the very next room whilst I tried to hang myself because of the drugs!). Every time I had asked them, they convinced me it was the Prozac, that I was mad, that it was in my head, that they would never do that to me...well....you get the idea!!

I am drug free (well, I still have Prozac left in my system as it has a reasonably long half life), and I'm getting there! Even now, a couple of months later, I am still affected by the Prozac, vivid dreams, dizzyness etc but things ARE getting better.

Prozac can and does help lots of people, but you need to make sure that your firends and family are made aware to look out for any mood changes, and you need to trust them when they say you need to go back to the Drs. And honestly? There are better drugs out there, but Prozac/Fluoxetine is a cheaper option.

Good luck!! And remember, you are unique, there is no one else alive just like you.....celebrate who you are and remember to smile, even if it's just once a day!

Sam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.