fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi . Joyce here. my G>P> has just prescribed fluoxetine for hot flushes. I was on hrt for 10 years. I am quite appriensive about taking this, because of the side effects. can anyone advise me please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce i have been on this for 6 weeks for hot flushes and they have definitely slowed down i used to get at least 11 in the day and more at night now i get about 2 in the day and 2 at night so i would stick with it, I havent had any other side effects, i used to take them in the afternoon but found i was a little sleepy so now take them after my evening meal and i sleep much better too, stick with it if you can what side effects areyou experiencing?

T

• Posted

Hi tanya. thanks for reply. I only had them yesterday, so wont have any side effects yet. i just had not heard anything about using them for hot flushes thats was my concern at first. then I read all the side effects and was shocked to hear so many. But on the other hand I have been feeling rather down for a while and I am thinking 2 birds with 1 stone so to spe.ak
  • Posted

HI Joyce, You're not alone. My GP prescribed fluoxetine for severe night sweats due to menopause and it's been working wonderfully. Normally I would not even consider taking this type of medication but I was at my wits end have soaked through my bed sheets and comforter more nights than not. I've been taking 10 mg every other night for about 3 months now and have only had night sweats about once per month. It's amazing. The doctor did warn me that there would be side effects for about 2 weeks but if you can get past them they will go away. For the first week I slept like a baby but had cravings for hamburgers and by the end of the week I felt pretty spaced out. That was with taking 10 mg per night. We reduced it to 10 mg every other night and the side effects went away and so did the night sweats. Good luck. I hope it works for you too. Sonja
  • Posted

Thanks sonja. that means alot to me. hope  and light at the end of the tunnel. best wishes to you
  • Posted

Feel free to keep in touch with me and let me know how you make out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.