Fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking this for several weeks now and have noticed a change which I'm rather embarrassed to mention to my GP.  I am suffering from excessive (and somewhat explosive) wind, irrespective of how much, or how little, I eat. I have also recently had 2 episodes of violent diarrhoea, both lasting several days.  Has anyone else had similar experiences, please?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I go to the toilet more than I eat, I have had exactly the same, and I have been taking Fluoxetine 20ml for 7 weeks, I have, and still suffer with a lot of side affects, at least I hope that what it is, as I took these tablets a few years ago and didn't have any side affects.... but now I think they use cheaper tablets, which give out more side affects 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Hilary.  I have also been taking the 20mg dose for 7 weeks.  I did ask my GP whether the stomach upsets could be due to the meds, however she said that it was unlikely to be a side effect as the upset stomachs would have come on as soon as I started taking the tablets, as opposed to a few weeks down the line.

Are you generally finding that the tablets are helping?

• Posted

I am having some goods now and again, but still having a lot of bad days, today has been a bad day, full of anxiety a bit depressed, but trying not to take any diazepam to help with the side affects now, they wern't helping anyway, maybe for about an hour, and I thought I do not want to get hooked on them.... Everybody is different to how long Fluoxetine takes to work, that's why I am glad I am on this site, as people that have been on fluoxetine a lot longer are able to tell you, which helps a lot....
  • Posted

I had bouts of this as well it does get better with time

Are you taking the medication with food? I found I felt more sick on an empty stomach

Than if I had it with food

I have found my stomach is feeling better

As I take it more and more

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Sarah.  I'm not taking it with food as I take it at night before I go to bed.  I started off taking it after breakfast, but found that it was making me very drowsy, so I changed it to taking it at night on the advice of my GP.  I hadn't thought about food angle, so thanks for your suggestion.
  • Posted

People don't realize that 90% of your serotonin exists outside the brain, with much of it functioning in the gut.  So, when these pills change up the order of things by increasing the amount of serotonin in the gap between nerves, that is throughout the body.  This can lead to increased motility in the gut.  Also, since our gut flora influences our mental health greatly, the presence of the drug in the intestinal tract is bound to upset them a bit!  This will likely settle out in time. 

You shouldn't be embarrassed to mention this to your doctor.  This is the kind of thing doctors deal with all the time, and he should know if you are having side effects.

• Posted

Thank you Betsy.  I didn't realise this - it's very helpful.
    • Posted

Betsy, I'm really glad to read your reply here. I've been on 20mg for 6 weeks, and the last two weeks I've been so sick, chest pain, terrible wind, the runs, lost loads of weight (which is no bad thing!) but haven't left the house for feeling so bad. I thought perhaps I had heart problems, or some other awful disease. What you said makes a lot of sense. The first 4 weeks of taking the drug I had no problems and thought i was just lucky.  Do you know of a natural way to help stop these effects? I've changed up my diet to low acidic foods, and eating very low fat/low sugars already. Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.