Fluoxetine & sudden extreme tiredness

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi All, Have been on 20mg fluoxetine since beginning of December. I found it worked almost straightaway mentally and felt brilliant. I did suffer a lot of nausea and was shaky and struggled to sleep but I could handle it because I felt so much better mentally. Then everything balanced out, my appetite came back and I thought I'd cracked it.

However, since approx April, I have felt so tired and lethargic almost as if I have been drugged. I am gutted as I was doing so well. I also have underactive thyroid so thought it was this but I had a blood test and everything OK that side. I started to take Flu every other day and I think this has helped slightly with the tiredness but I can feel the depression hanging on the sidelines again so I am in total catch 22. I don't want to stop taking them but I am struggling to function some days. Any other people feel like this or have been through this? I would appreciate your views.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have literally started taking flu today!! Just thot I'd read a bit about it. I see there's a lot of people saying they are really tired on it. Now I know everyone is different but is it worth taking it at night so I'm not tired all day during the day???

Thanks

• Posted

I started off taking it mornings then switched to evenings, it didn't make any difference. As it is an accumulative medicine I dont think it makes a difference what time of day you take it.... but as you say everyone is different.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for that. Just over 2 weeks down the line now. I know it takes a few weeks to get into your system but ive no improvements so far. I'm sleepy quite a lot tho. I've just stuck to taking it in the morning as I'm most likely to remember to take it then!!
  • Posted

Hi all

Like iz I have been prescribed Prozac for PMT and feel totally drained, I am so pleased to read other people have these side effects too. I work full time and when I get home all I want to do is sleep. I have had to explaintoo my family how I feel so they understand. The Prozac has lifted my mood 100% and I feel so much better than I did which is great but not sure which is the better of the two evils the PMT or the chronic tiredness.

• Posted

Hi Norah

I have been on prozac continously for the past two years now. Both times i have reduced or cut down the dose i have had a return of depression symptoms. I have now become accustomed to the tiredness and try to manage this as best as i can, like always having a nap when i get home from work. It helps a lot. For me, the tiredness is way more manageble than the depresson, but it has taken me a while to get here as i found the tiredness really difficult to cope with at first.

Terri

• Posted

I took flu several years and no grogginess but time definitely.  so I tried it at bedtime and do still get a good benefit from it.
  • Posted

Hi, I am in exactly the same boat as you! I feel so tired all the time. I've had loads of blood tests and apart from a little iron storage problem there is nothing much amiss.

I have put on alot of weight as my appetite is really weird. I cant seem to stop eating once I start. I feel dizzy at times, no interest in sex at all. Thinking I would rather be depressed without the side effects!! I am going to go cold turkey now after doing 20mg every other day for a while, then every third day. See how it goes. Yes, I am worried about the depression, especially with Winter coming up but I hate feeling this way. Also my memory has gone down hill and my organisation is poor. And my bones ache. I am 51 feeling 81!!

• Posted

I have been taking Flu 20 mg for a few months now.  I went up to 40mg but started to feel extremely tired. My GP advised that the tiredness mean the dosage was too high and that I should come back down to 20mg.  This was fine for a few weeks and now I am extremely tired again.  My GP advised that this would happen when I no longer need the 20mg so today I didn't take one this morning and I feel brand new!!! No yawning my way through the day.  Time to get weaned off them altogether it seems. smile

• Posted

i have been taking flu for years. I now realize that the longer I take it the more fatigue I feel. I did not know that it was a side effect because I take many other meds. I will try nights before I ask Doc to try something else. Thank all of you for your insight into this drug
  • Posted

Hi all. Alot of people hve said the tiredness may be caused by depression but this was not the cause in my experience. I was taking flu for ocd and the associated anxiety difficulties that accompany it. After the first 2-3 months (I increased the dose from 20 to 60mgs in this period) I initially couldn't believe how amazeballs I felt. No more anxiety attacks, paranoia was at an all time low and I was able to concentrate alot better throughout the day. It was about another 2 or so months later that I realised I could barely make it through a single day without napping after lunch or dragging myself around barely able to keep my eyes open and having around a tenth of the energy I had prior to taking flu. I dropped from 60 to 40 with not much noticible difference. Then a month and a half later down to 20. 20mgs wasn't really cutting it when it came to controlling my symptoms so about 3 weeks ago i ceased taking them. As people have said earlier in the thread it really is a catch 22. I am starting to feel like a functioning humam again energy wise, I can't nap during the day now even if I try, but everything it was helping me control is back and feels so much more horrible after living without it for the past year. The hardest part now is working out what the lesser of 2 evils is. I know my comment isn't really a solution but I wasn't suffering depression and I still felt the same way and hope it helps others to work out what it "is" and "isn't " for them. wink

• Posted

I strongly urge you to have your thyroid tested again. Speaking from over a decade of my own research and personal experience, doctors are neither testing, analyzing, or treating the thyroid appropriately. GET YOUR LAB RESULTS from when the doc tested and told you everything was aok, if your TSH is not between .8 and 1.8, you have an underactive thyroid. In addition, another key indicator of thyroid performance is FREE T3 level (research shows that the Free T3 level should be in or approaching the upper third of the lab reference range to feel optimally). You see, most doctors prescribe levothyroxine (which is T4-thyroxine), but if your body is not converting the T4 to the active form T3, you will continue to experience underactive thyroid symptoms (including fatigue). Therefore, adding a time release T3 to the regimen along with T4 is usually the golden ticket. Some women choose natural thyroid which includes T4 and T3 but that is difficult to tweak dosage because it is combined, make sense? Please consider another doctor if your levels aren't in the ranges I described, and the doctor refuses to treat. In my personal experience, having been diagnosed with Autoimmune Hashimoto's Thyroiditis AND Fibromyalgia, a properly treated thyroid is the cornerstone to regaining your wellness. Everytime I see people diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I think undertreated thyroid.

• Posted

Regarding the depression, I cannot understand how ANY doctor can live with themselves treating patients with an SSRI without first ensuring that the thyroid is functioning optimally, that the female hormones are in optimal range, and that Vitamin D3 is in optimal range. I have been able to get off of an SSRI that I took for years by my doctor making sure all of these foundational things were treated, and my mood fell into place accordingly without the use of an SSRI. Benefit of that is no horrible side effects from the SSRI class of drugs. Essentially, you are treating the cause of the depression versus applying a bandaid.
    • Posted

Hi just wondering if you know if the blood test for thyroid are accurate? I have struggled with all thyroid symptoms but it came back normal in my blood test ? 
  • Posted

Hi I'm the same.  Totally shattered I seem to wake up on e or twice in the night.  It's helping me mentally feel so

Much better but drained.  Find myself falling asleep all the time.   Pauline.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.