Fluoxetine and amitryptiline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on fluoxetine for a couple of years and feeling good ., after suffering severe depression.

I have recently been diagnosed as needing a knee replacement , and getting a lot of nerve pain.my GP took me off fluoxetine and I started amitryptaline and after starting with 10 mg have been on 50 mg for around 2 months. after feeling so fogged up and slow for weeks, also gaining weight ,I have had enough.I stopped a week ago , and feel pretty low now . The pain has not returned yet , but I am sure it will. I want to restart fluoxetine, but ask is there a nerve pain relief I can take along with it, without the awful side affects .( my husband said I had become a different person whilst taking amitryptaline , and not a nice one)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pam. I do sympathise with you. The medicine that's supposed to make you feel better has had awful effects. I'm a nurse not a doctor and the only thing I can think of at the present time is an analgesic for the pain rather than a nerve blocker. However these drugs also have side effects in some patients. A codeine based analgesic may work because they block the pain or an anti inflammatory. It all depends on what you may have tried before and which drug suits you best. Let us know how you vet on.
    • Posted

I am on cocodamol and tramadol , they help with the knee pain but not the nerve pain , that the hospital thinks is starting  in my back . I don't sleep and amitryptaline had helped with that , but I would rather have the pain than feel this unwell.  I have a telephone appointment with my GP tomorrow. I am sure she will not be happy with my decision , and just hope she will let me go back on fluoxetine . Why change something that was working well ? 
    • Posted

Hello. I agree. Why change something that has worked well in the past. If your husband has noticed a change in you as well then your GP should listen to you. I've heard patients relatives comment exactly as your husband did. Your GP should be making you feel better not worse. Be insistant and good luck. Let us know how you get on tomorrow
    • Posted

Just spoken or rather cried to my GP .. Feel so silly . She has agreed to me going back on fluoxetine , and has told me if the pain comes back to contact her as there is something else I can try .i hope it doesn't take too long to kick back in as I hate feeling like this .thanks for listening x
    • Posted

Hello pam. That's really good news. Don't feel silly though. Your GP will deal with hundreds of patients every week and nothing will make her think anyone is silly. That's their job to listen and treat patients as individuals.

Hope you'll be feeling much better soon. Keep in touch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.