Fluoxetine and bad side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was started on fluoxetine due to anxiety related to covid19 which had heightened my base line anxiety

i had taken 5 tablets and i ended up having an ambulance heart rate 150 , severe shaking and tremors nausea vomitting diarrhoea - basically seretonin syndrome

the heart rate settled with diazepam and they did blood tests and ecg and then said i was ok to go home obviously stopped taking the fluoxetine

the first few days have been hell

i am still getting side effects from the fluoxetine

diarrhoea and nausea - i have no want to eat and if i do can only manage small selection of nuts

dizzy and light headed which seems worse in the morning

horrible strong headaches weakness tiredness

twitching

i only took 1 diazepam as i dont want to have to withdraw from those my GP said these are usual side effects now- i clearly had a strong reaction to fluoxetine she said it can take 5 weeks to get to half life of fluoxetine

i havent felt so ill like this in my life finding it really tough

has anyone had side effects ? any advice on dealing with them especially the nausea and not wanting to eat

i hope that no one ever has this syndrome so scary

and only after 5 tablets

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi Charlotte,

I'm so sorry for you - that sounds absolutely awful.

What advice have you now been given? Sounds like you're continuing with the fluoxetine for now?

All your side effects sound so incredibly familiar - but yours are massively more extreme than what I went through. Mine x100 by the sound of it.

What dosage are you on now?

Hang in there - it'll get better.

• Posted

hi dave

thanks for the reply

no because of the serertoin syndrome i cannot take any ssri - fluoxetine again

the GP has said i have to wait the 5 weeks before any new medication can be given to me

so im just having to wait for the fluoxetine to be out of my system

because the 5 tablets i took are still giving me side effects now

today feel so weak dizzy disassoiated thoughts

did you feel like this ?

• Edited

Hi Charlotte. Honestly, I can't even remember. It was a blur of ickiness. But yes I remember some dizziness. So you can't take any alternatives at all right now? I hope you turn the corner soon. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,

how are you feeling now? I'm struggljng too. took fluoxetine for 5 days and have had awful side effects that have continued after I have stopped taking it. Feel in a state of fear all the time. doc has prescribed some valium to try and help me.

I hope you are now feeling good. How long did it take you get back to normal?

Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.