Fluoxetine and depression is worse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on 20mg of fluoxetine for nearly 3 weeks and I am feeling worse than before I started. I can't bear to be around people, have no motivation to do the things that I have always enjoyed i.e. Running, cycling, seeing friends. I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings. Often feel out of control and unable to snap myself out of the way am feeling. I'm seeing a counsellor and he admits that it will be difficult to help me until the medication starts working

Am off work as I just couldn't function in my job

Feel like I will never get back to my old self

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Nigel

Most of us 'flou' takers know what you are going through. It does get better around 6 - 12 weeks honestly. As far as exercise goes I too love my exercise, Boxing, step, running all high impact. Now it's pilates, walks and yoga I can't do high intensity because of the palpitations. Try to carry on exercising but gentle & moderate it really helps.

You have every right to take time off work when depression & anxiety takes hold you can'take rush recovery but as the flouextine side effects subside you will feel like yourself again.

Try not to look ahead but take everyday as it comes and don't dwell on when you will be recovered it will put pressure on you.

Keep talking on here they are a fantastic and supportive bunch of people.

• Posted

Thanks Woo. Will keep in touch on this site - it does help when am feeling low
  • Posted

it takes prozac (flux) 30-45 days to reach the working level within your blood. It is the slowest AD, and when it is starting in your system, you will feel really bad, i mean really really bad, like really really bad. If you change dose, it takes another 3-4 weeks to feel the dose ! L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.