Fluoxetine and insomnia?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, for my first 10 days or so on this medication i was sleeping fine, although i was getting very bad side effects in other ways, but now i cannot seem to stay asleep at all and feel exhausted when i wake up. Is this common with fluoxetine? I'm starting to feel better in regards to anxiety, but now the sleep has hit me hard (or lack of). Will this pass? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

I’ve had the same was sleeping fine. Last week I’ve noticed I fall to sleep fine cause I’m absolutely shattered but can’t seem to stay asleep, I’m tossing and turning. I’m on day  16 
    • Posted

I'm on about day 16 too Lucy, its weird because I was on Mirtazapine before this and sleeping was not great. Then switched to fluoxetine and sleeping was great for the first week and half, now I cannot stay asleep to save my life. Hopefully it'll improve when it gets in our systems properly.

• Posted

Yes, I was sleeping really well, but now i'm just exhausted so going bed early but not sleeping lol...... Im not sure if I've had too much sleep if that makes sense. Going to try and push past 9pm tonight...  Hope your sleep improves smile

• Posted

Yeah I know how you feel. Really doesn't help with anxiety and depression when you're exhausted all the time too. Apparently limiting your time in bed is healthy and not staying in bed if you aren't sleeping. The problem I always have is if I don't sleep I'll be thinking about it all the next day because I feel so rough and I'll google and such and kind of add pressure to get to sleep. Its a vicious cycle lol... Hope yours improves too. smile

• Edited

Hi beeswax and Kat! Hi, what your experiencing is completely normal in the early weeks on floux, don't be alarmed or stop taking your meds!! Read all the posts on here from a few weeks ago , then read the recent ones about all of us improving , don't give up , good luck people's!!!! Xxxx

• Posted

Its been over 3 weeks and I'm now on 40mg of Fluoxetine. The insomnia is literally the only negative thing I'm experiencing at the moment apart from nausea and loss of appetite. I still have some anxiety but no where near as bad as it was. I feel a big part in relieving anxiety and depression is getting a decent amount of sleep at night, because it just makes everything worse when you're exhausted all the time. Is 3 weeks still early days? and will my sleep regulate again? I feel its because my brain is getting used to the different chemicals and maybe not producing much melatonin? Just hope I can sleep again and I'll be fine on these meds.

• Posted

Hey again. I’ve found my sleeping has got a bit better. I do quite a lot of exercise so find I’m worn out. Have you tried going gym or going for walk?? 
    • Posted

Hey there, I'm glad you are sleeping better, that's great news! I've been trying to do some weights around the house, but thats probably what my problem is at the moment... staying in the house lol. I might have to sign up for the gym again and get back into that routine of cardio. Thanks smile

• Posted

4 months in I still was struggling to get to sleep and stay asleep. I halved down to 10mg and took melatonin sleep hormone which worked for 3 weeks but now body is withdrawing so I may go up to 20mg again but definitely still take the melatonin which is known as circadin
  • Posted

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am new to this site and I have been on 20mg fluox for 7 weeks now and am still experiencing broken sleep which is killing me. Its my only side effect & I really want to push thru w this med bc it is helping my extreme anxiety but idk. I have tried 2.5mg melatonin but it only helps me fall asleep, not stay asleep. Most nights I wake up after about 2-4 hrs of sleep and am wide awake for an hour or more before I fall back to sleep. Its driving me insane! Any recommendations? Did u take more melatonin??

• Posted

hi there. i am only on day 18 of Fluoxetine 20mg for depression and anxiety. i cant sleep either which is making me feel worse throughout the day. i feel very weapy and low although i have had some good days too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.