Fluoxetine and Rivaroxaban

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i am new here. I have Atrial Fibrillation and am on Rivaroxaban for this and I have been prescribed Fluoxetene for depression.  My GP did the consultation over the phone yesterday and sent the prescription to the pharmacy.  I rang the pharmacy today to see if it was ready for collection.  The pharmacist has referred me back to my GP and has told me i should not be taking Fluoxetene with Rivaroxaban as it could cause bleeding. Can someone help me with this please.  Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello I dont have any idea myself, but from the NICE web-site it does appear your pharmacist is correct

NICE Web-Site

RivaroxabanRivaroxaban is predicted to increase the risk of bleeding events when given with fluoxetine. Manufacturer advises use with caution or avoid.

Severity of interaction:

Severe

Evidence for interaction:

Theoretical

To go to webisite put this in yiur browser

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/interaction/fluoxetine-2.html

• Posted

Hi. If you check the side effects of Fluoxetine, it does warn about possible irregular bleeding, and that could be why your pharmacist has said what they have to you. I used to take Rivaroxaban, and it DOES impact your body for things like bruising and cuts - i was black and blue for the first couple of months, and even tiny cuts took quite some time to stop bleeding. Ive never taken the other, but it would appear your pharmacist doesnt want you to take risks, so follow the advice and re-visit you GP would be my suggestion. You need to be safe on your meds!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.