Fluoxetine and sleeping tablets?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, 

I am currently on day 12 of 20mg of Fluoxetine, Think I'm starting to get over the worst of the side affects I had last week, but still suffering badly, I think I need a good nights sleep to help me, currently only getting one or two hours at a time, and waking up with massive anxiety, so I an thinkng about sleeping tablets.

Does anyone else use sleeping tablets whilst taking Flu? What have been your experiences on it? I'm just worried that it I take anything even something like Herbal Nytol it will make it all worse?

Thanks

Kate 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I do take 1 mg of klonopin for sleep and am in the trial stages of 20mg fluoxetine. Suppose to be 40mg but giving it some time. Also working on ridding stress and brain rest/ meditation, gym. Work in progress.
    • Posted

Great thank you for the reply, I know what you mean about work in progress. Its a long road isn't it. 
  • Posted

Alot of people apparently have insomnia with Fluoxetin. Im on day 22 at 20mg. I have to take a .5mg Klonapin or half of one sometimes to help sleep. Just make sure no interactions. Ask a pharmacist. Also there are techniques you can do at bedtime to help calm you an help sleep. Breathing techniques an relaxation techniques for anxiety. Also you can visit with a psychologist or behavior therapist (?) I did for awhile an he taught me about the worry hr. You have only one hr everyday to worry. Has to be same hr everyday. All worries are worried about or written down in a "worry journal" in that hr only. Rest of day you train your mind to not worry. Wait yill worry hr. Usually whatever part of day you have more anxiety would be ideal time to do it. Also exercise is very helpful for anxiety. I go swing at the park sometimes! I know its child like but I enjoyed it as a child an still do. Its freeing to me an listen to my fav songs. Also its ok to cry it out! Its a release. I do that sometimes also. Drinking alcohol IS NOT a good idea on Fluoxetin. I only had one glass of wine an I had severe restless legs that night. No sleep! I have had a horrible last 2 wks. Sad crying an anxiety is worse. When will it "click"!! I'm giving it 5 wks an then if not working either going up to40mg or stopping it. This my 4th antidepressant to try.
    • Posted

I hope it works for you, or you find something that does, the worry hour sounds like a great idea, I have started seeing a therapist too, its good to just talk it all out, helps get it straight in my head. I love going for walks and make sure I get out the house at least once a day even if its just a stroll to the corner shop. I'm due back to work tomorrow for a few hours, so hoping that will go well and give me something else to focus on. 

I also know what you mean about the alcohol, the thought of drinking whilst I felt that bad was not good! but now I feel "better" I still dont think I want to. I have started swimming again too, for a bit of exercise and something to fill the time. I'm lucky I only went through a couple of days in week 2 where all I wanted to do was cry, so I did and felt better after. I'm sure there will be other times coming where I will again too.

What other antidepressants have you tried? 

• Posted

I first started Zoloft or Sertraline generic 50mg. It started working mentally in about 3-4 wks but went toxic apparently in my body. Liver enzymes went up, severe diaherra, lost way to much wt, flu like symptoms developed so stopped. That was in Aug of 2014. Then found out in Nov of 14, i had started menopause! So the depression just got worse an worse then prescribed Lexapro. Sleepy ALL the time an gained wt rapidly on it. Did nothing mentally was 10 mg then 15mg. So stopped it. Then have tried Cymbalta or Duloxetin generic 30mg then 60mg. I have fibromyalgia so it helped with pain but did not do anything but make me want to do NOTHING! Not activating at all. Took it month an half. Blood pressure went way up to. Stopped middle Dec I think. Now on Fluoxetin. Day 23.
    • Posted

How are you getting on Zio10? My side affects have almost gone now, still have the odd wobble every now and then, couldn't stop crying at work the other day. But things are getting better!
    • Posted

Well Day 34. Not as bad emotionally but not happy either. Still getting middle back burn I ng pain off an on on rt side. My gallbladder is gone. So not sure what it is. Kidney? Im thinkin j might have to go up. But only want to go up to 30mg fr 20. But they may not pills in that milligram. I can't really tell much except Im not all over the place emotionally. Still crying occasionally. Im given it 6 wks then I guess goin up. I still can't exercise much due to broke foot healing. That sure hasnt helped my depression an anxiety. I exercised alot before. Broke it in Nov24 at a lrg chain store. Whole in floor I tripped on. Law suit! All I can say is its been a very tough 3 wks on this med! Hope you keep gettjng better.!!
  • Posted

Hi :-)

I used Zopiclone the whole time I took fluoxetine, with no ill-effects.

I have always used them though as I suffer with insomnia so not sure if taking something new would give a different experience.

Good luck xxx

• Posted

Hey. I realise this post was a while ago. I'm just wondering how long you were on zopiclone for? I've been on Fluoxetine 20mg for 36 days and I've pretty much took a 3.75mg zopiclone every night for 5 weeks. But I'm gona come off them now and try nytol for the first week or so not taking them. X

• Posted

Hey Carol, i’m on day 43 and i’ve been using 3.75 zopiclone too, on and off, while I wait for the fluoxetine to kick in and hopefully help me sleep... my doctor won’t give me any more zopiclone as she says they can become addictive. It would be really good to know what your experience on nytol is. I’ve started cutting the zopiclone in half to make them last longer! Hope you find the Nytol works. Sleeping poorly is awful x
    • Posted

I’ve been on fluoxetine for about 6 weeks now. I have had sleeping problems in the past but I take 7.5mg zopiclone every night but my doctor is wary about giving me more because they can become addictive. Any suggestions ?
  • Posted

very ill mate, had mixed and had to call ambulance as started slipping in and out from consciousness
  • Posted

My doctor prescribed a low dose of Trazadone another anti depressant. I get good sleep. Have you tried melatonin. It takes a while for the Meds to kick in. I am at 40 days, just starting to see slight improvement. Try not to get discouraged it’s a long hard road. Everyone says 6 to 8 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Kate

I take Nytol a few days a week and fund this really helps

Brad

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.