Fluoxetine and Tickly Cough!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi all, just a thought really, and wondered if anyone else had suffered with a really tickly cough whilst taking Flux?

I have been on 20mg now for 5 months and got over most of the traumatic side effects by about week 6, however I still have a few occasionally and I have a very tickly dry throat mainly at night but also sometimes during the day and it is driving me mad.  I am going to go docs as i have had it now for a while and it is getting worse and cough medicine doesnt help. 

Anyone else?

thanks all

x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am wondering if there is any new information regarding this issue. I’ve been on Prozac for 4 months now and absolutely love how it has changed me, but the dry cough at night is driving me crazy. I do not want to get off of it, but it is concerning and makes me wonder if this is a small symptom of a larger issue. 
  • Posted

Yes I have had the same problem after taking Prozac for 2 months. A terribly annoying dry sandpapery Cough. Not only that but  it feels like my throat is closing up and getting smaller like I have swallowed water the wrong way down - like I’m choking and my throat is getting smaller and more restricted.

I cough sometimes in the day but the worse is when it wakes me up in the night! When I feel my throat is closing up like I can’t breathe and have this sandpaper dry constricted feeling in my throat constantly.

I had this sandpapery dry cough that feels like my airway is restricted for 6 months now, even  after stopping Prozac which I only taken for 2 months hoping the symptoms would go away eventually as the Prozac started to kick in after 4 weeks and it made me feel happier, my mood was great, I had more energy, I more organized for the first time, more focused, And  it controlled my ADHD symptoms  extremely well, I was feeling more confident, happier, brighter & more conscientious, considerate human being, it changed me for the better in some ways because I was more compassionate, caring and empathetic towards others but the side effects from it were so extremely  annoying, that I had to unfortunately stop.

The side effects where just horrible & didn’t go away. And still haven’t gone away since I stoped taking Prozac 6 months ago.

Not to mention the, red blotchy sores all over my body like I am a teenager with acne on my neck face and back. I also suffered with extremely dry eyes, Gritty, dry scratchy eyes that are Very blurry, itchy, sandpaper feeling in my eyes yet again, burning with uncomfortable swelling behind them.  It literally feels like parts of sandpaper or sand  is caught in my eyes. I also had yellow and red discoloration in the whites of my eyes, very blood shot and yellow with swelling and blurred vision.

What surprises me is the same sand paper feeling in my eyes I also had in my throat and wonder when in blazes are these symptoms going to go away! As they have lasted for 6 months without any improvement.

Which you can imagine has  me deeply concerned.

The side effects from taking Prozac even when the Prozac has been long gone, out of my system is that the facts still remains-  that the annoying side effects from taking Prozac have lasted longer than me taking The medication to begin with. I wonder if I will ever stop coughing and my eyes stop hurting and drying out causing them to itch and burn like there’s sand caught in them.

So yes I feel for anyone going through the same ordeal as me, and I’m worried and deeply troubled by wether I and other people have to irreversible damage from taking Prozac to begin with.

Wether we all have to suffer long term side effects because of taking this drug to begin with. 

• Edited

I know this cough topic is old but I found solution for myself and I just want to share it. Maybe this will help someone. At first I had to give up taking fluoxetine because of cough. But it worked wonderful for depression for me (like no other drug). So I tried again. But this time I also started taking something for allergy: cetirizine. You can try any other drug which helps for allergy. They say desloratadine is safe in long use. It helped me a lot so I can still take fluoxetine. It's not perfect with cough but much much better 😃

• Posted

Im so glad I saw your post. Imhaving the EXACT same effects. My cough started pretty much right away and it does seem to be getting worse. what did your doctor say?

• Posted

I have been on fluoxetine for 5 months now. I have been experiencing tickly cough mainly at night. It is keeping me awake and very aggravating. I go to the doctor today and I am stopping this medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.