Fluoxetine and weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering whether anyone that has been taking Fluoxetine has noticed an increase in their weight? I've become really down because I seem to now have a lot of stretch marks all over my stomach area, with new ones coming often and I can't seem to get rid of them or stop them appearing. Is it just me or has anyone else had something similar, and was yours caused by antidepressants?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i remember gaining weight over a period of years, but realized i was not as active and when i started walking the weight came right off.

This time restarting Prozac has caused weight loss for me that i didnt want, so i think its different for everyone.

I am seriously considering Dr Kelly Brogans approach to all the issues i have.... and while im not ready to taper off the prozac yet, I think I may be after I fix the rest of me.

Try taking a walk every day for 30 minutes.... you will be surprised at how much better you feel..... also, cutting out things like gluten and dairy and sugar( which is the hardest) will help also.... 95% of your serotonin is produced in your gut..... so if your gut isnt happy, your brain may not be either.

• Posted

How long have you been taking it? I have only been on it for almost 5 weeks with no weight gain

• Posted

I've been taking it for 10 months now, perhaps they aren't related. I know that it is a side effect on the information sheet that comes with the medicine, but I'm curious as to whether that actually goes beyond the words on the sheet. Damn anxiety 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.