Fluoxetine and will it and when will it help

Posted , 2 users are following.

After several bouts of pretty bad depression over decades (last one which I'm just hopefully coming out of (starting from 5 months ago)....

I can understand your pleas about if it will work and when...but I do say - don't be passive while you're waiting - nor after it working (hopefully). Supplelment it with other things - consider psychotherapy (yes - not as easy as dropping a pill - but of there is trouble in your mind a pill is unlikely to return u to normal forever). Also change your daily patterns in life, especially if they are not that interesting - do some new things., whether it's exercise, learning, anything that turns you on.

I think pills are important (if not for everyone) and finding the right one is important, but don't rely on them on their own. Wishing all of you, especially those in acute anguish and pain, the best

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So true . I agree totally . I am waiting for counselling . I e been bad now for 3 months . Started with anxiety now depression .
    • Posted

So, try and add in things. Wherever you live, are there support places (some in my experience have been great - others less so. There are support centres and there are also meeting of groups of fellow sufferers - it can help to be with other people who are or have been in similar situations). Are you being active? While you wait for counselling, are you doing any self-help (books). Have you people who u can share your problem with (great if you can get someone outside of family and close friends - I say this as it's great if u can find someone who is empathic and not involved in a close relationship IMO.

The more u can take responsibility for yourself, the better it feels. I know it's tough, really tough as depression can undermine the very strength to find these resources but do your v best not to give in.

Write - keep a diary

Give yourself a reward for anything that is a positive step towards your recovery

.......er that's enough to start for now!

• Posted

Thanks for this . Yes I write a diary . Yes have a lot of people to talk too . I'm trying to keep as active as possible got 2 children to look after ..

• Posted

Good to hear that. Having children can be tough on space and time (unless you have a very helpful partner - tough on them too). I felt really bad when I had my last bout back in 2003 about whether they comprehended what was going on (they were about 7 and 11.

Be good to yourself when you can. Cheers

• Posted

Thank you . Got a very helpful understanding husband . Hoonh also to get back to work soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.