Fluoxetine and wine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All.

A while back I asked this question but I was still in the throws of some severe side effects and very bad depression and anxiety.

Before starting Fluoxetine 13 weeks ago I used to love my one glass of white wine a night but then I lost my appetite and I just didnt feel for it.

Then one day I thought I noticed I felt particularly down and though it may have been the wine I had the previous night.

I am a very light drinker and if anything, I will only be able to have 1 glass max now.

What are your opinions and experiences with alcohol and fluoxetine?

I am not talking about getting drunk or binge drinking but I am considering enjoying a glass of wine maybe twice a week now that I am feeling better.

If there is a risk of making me feel super down for days afterwards though, it is definitely not worth it.

Someone said I should try an organic wine that contains less sulphites, or perhaps another drink.

I know some people say to not mix this medication and alcohol at all but I think that is more for everyday and heavy drinkers.

Please share your advice. Thanks so much.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi all, hope you are doing well. I have a few drinks and have no issues. Certainly couldn't and wouldn't have a big night - but 3-4 wines seems ok. I normally only have 2-3 wines once or twice a week. Cheers, Craig. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.