Fluoxetine Day 7. When are the worst of the side effects over? Someone please help :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all. I've recently been switched from 20mg of Paxil to 20mg of prozac, as the Paxil pooped out on me some weeks ago. So I'm on day 7 of the flu. Me being pretty sensitive to meds, of course I've experience almost every SE this thing can throw at me, like:

Insomnia

Nervousness

Increased anxiety

Hot and cold sweats

Extreme fatigue (but still can't sleep)

Also got a new little gem yesterday. Feeling pressure on either side of my head, near my ears. It feels like I'm wearing one of those cheap plastic headbands.

Can someone who's been through this please let me know when the worst of these are over? I realize I'm going to have the heightened anxiety for a long while as I get used to this new drug. I've been sleeping better on and off as well. Think I got in 7-8 hours on my own last night! Thanks everyone. And if anyone else is in the early stages of fluoxetine SE/use, please comment here and maybe we can be each others support for the weeks to come? ????

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

HI Laura,

Im just over 3 weeks and still having the side effects you mentioned. Some of my evenings I'm calmer now. But waking up each morning with horrible anxiety, nausea and the shakes. Then you add that to the depression. What I've learned from others on this site is most start seeing some improvement around week four. It of course varies by person. 

Try and rest as best you can and be kind to yourself. The side effects will go it just takes a bit of time.

Laurie

• Posted

Hi Laurie, thanks for the reply ?? It really is a beast, isn't it? 😭 I find myself reading through these forums and just wishing I could be on week 6 or 8 already.. I've had some ups already, the day before last wasn't too bad and even got some housework done. Then bam, yesterday was the worst day yet. Almost nothing unable to move because of the jitteriness. Now today, not as bad, actually got some sleep last night and was able to water the flowers in the front. All I want to feel is myself again sad I get worried sometimes that won't happen.

• Posted

I understand completely. I get so discouraged sometimes. So tired of the fight. I just want to feel happy, calm and love life again. It worries me as I have had times where the side effects are a bit better but I am still so depressed. I worry that maybe the depression won't get better.

Yes I hate the jitteriness that goes with my anxiety. And no appetite.

Im having a down day today and am trying to look at things more positively.

I would just love to be able to go to sleep but I can't.

Ah the side effects.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I had the worst day by far yesterday. I spent the whole day crying. All the side effects. FxxxxxxxK!

Today has been better. I got up, walked the dog, showered and actually put some mascara on. Although my hands were still shaking. Then went to group at the hospital. I cried a bit there while talking but at least I'm surrounded by people who understand what I'm going through and don't judge. They just listen and if they can try and help.

Now at 5pm Im starting to feel calmer.

We are going to get there, ok. It's just going to take some time and strength on our side. It's much easier for me to say and believe that now that I feel calmer. I just wish I could do that when I'm in the dumps.

How are you holding up?

• Posted

In the Prozac realm of adjusting, 7 days is not very long. Sorry to say, but your side effects may last for 2-6 months. That's depending on increases and your body's ability to tolerate Prozac. Your brain is being reprogrammed be the drug and it takes a few months. The problems you experience now may change and new or different ones appear. It takes a while. If you have a good doctor, get prescriptions to help with anxiety, insomnia, etc....I was on it 30 years and it really helped me! Good Luck. I am going to say a prayer for you. Sincerely, Pam🙏

• Posted

No, I totally get that ?? I am hoping that since I was on such a similar drug before (Paroxetene)

That it may help out a bit with the SE. Or maybe lessen them. I don't know, wishful thinking, I guess. Day 1 was weird, I could feel it within an hour and was in a fog all day. Days 2-4 were mostly down, lots of heightened anxiety, brain fog, no sleep at all even though I felt like I could pass out at any moment. Day 5 wasn't too bad, more ups than downs, and day 6 was the most horrible day yet. Could barely get out of bed, everything was just too much. Now Day 7 (today) has probably been the best one yet. I actually let my husband leave the house for 1.5 hours and didn't stress out about it at all ??

• Posted

Hi Laura 

Sorry to hear you are doing it tough. I had it all...and some. For me weeks 2, 3 and 4 were the toughest. Then I started to get better week on week (very slowly).

Now at the end of week 9 I am great - I have had 4-5 days with no SE and have plenty of motivation for life. From about week 6 I was quite functional. 

Hang in there and good luck! Cheers, Craig 

• Posted

Hi I'm on day 7 today, the last 2 days have been so hard, really depressed, I'm scared now incase I feel like this forever and this is now who I am, sounds crazy even writing it! But the fear is awful. Hopefully tomorrow's a better day! Xx

• Posted

Hi Gracie,

I know exactly how you feel. I am at almost week 4. I had my worst day by far yesterday. Thinking and fearing exactly what you do. But I have been having good times too. My evenings I am much calmer and I have had some better days.

It unfortunately is a slow process rewiring our brains with these medications. But you will start having some better moments. Everyone is different when it happens for them.

Try and hold on. Rest when you can and be kind to yourself.

You are not alone so just chat here when you need some comfort or help.

• Posted

Thank you, how are you doing now? I'm feeling better, just anxious all the time, I'm praying this passes soon

• Posted

I'm doing better. Still anxiety, nausea and the shakes in the mornings but not as severe.  It's still up and down day to day but getting better.

Hold on, I hope you start feeling better soon.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Day 11 today. Feeling terrible. Shaky,

Agitated, anxious, I'm ready to bin these sad but then I think I can't afford to start all over with something else because I'll probably have the same SE anyways. Just feeling a little in despair right now. Had a good day yesterday though. It seems to go 1 good, 1 really really bad. Oh, and the bouts of DP/DR are just icing on the cake, aren't they? I worry about that part of it so much that I'm constantly wondering if any things real 😞😞😞😞

• Posted

glad to have found this site, was starting to feel hopeless and like these side effecrs would never end. im on day 14, taking 20mg, the nausea and jitteryness is better today as long as i force myself to eat. I cant stand feeling nauseous but reading its somewhat normal, helps! so bizarre that taking something for my anxiety and panic would have effects that mirror anxiety and panic! staying hopeful it will keep getting better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.