fluoxetine, do I need stronger dose?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hiya, I've been on 20mg from day 1 but I'm questioning as to whether I need a stronger dose. various things make me think I'm stuck in a rut when I should be further along the road, for example my unkempt appearance, have'nt brushed my hair for days, can't be bothered to be honest. just eat and sleep still got the original lethargic feelings most days, I do make the occasional effort to go out but god it is an effort, so what do you think?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry u feel this way. From what I remember ur a little in front of me with the meds. I'm 6weeks. I think I'm getting better but its in patches where I feel normal. I can't be bothered to go anything either but i put it down to the pregnancy. I'm bad if im alone. When my partners at work my mom and dad visit me which helps. I hear a lot of people on 40mg and my Dr said 20mg is a tiny amount and a bigger person eg:man can tolerate a higher dose better then a smaller person 
    • Posted

yeah thats what I was thinking Rachel, I'm 5' 10" and weigh 14.5 stone so I was wondering if I need to take more, I'm coming up for week 8 already. That's great that you have your mum n dad for company because lonliness is an awful thing when you are depressed sad think I'll visit doctor tomorrow for advice, thankyou smile
  • Posted

Hi David,

The fluoxetine reaches its concentration peak in the brain after about 5 weeks. In my opinion, more than 6 weeks is enough for assessing whether you need a higher dose. I just upped mine to 60 mg.

• Posted

A lot of people do say 12weeks till they felt better though but u should definitely see some improvements much sooner x
    • Posted

hi Danilo,

wow you know more about this drug than my doctor tells me! it's a case of "try these pills David and see how you get on," I totally was'nt aware about it peaking at about 5 weeks, I'm almost 8 weeks and got so far up the pole and started sliding back down this past week so I will hope to see my doctor before Christmas, thankyou for the info and update smile

• Posted

Hi david

Its a quandry isnt it? Lots of people on here say changing the dose can send you back to square one with side effects. Others have managed it fine tho.

Im just getting to a stage where some things are noticably better, some gone completely and some still hanging round to p me off, even a few new unwanted sensations BUT overall I have definitely improved. If you really feel that you haven't improved you should definitely talk to your dr again

I did 8wks of citalopram,  tried upping dose before changing to fluox 8 wks ago (yea thats nearly 16wks from the start of ssri's!!!) and didnt know if changing then was the right thing but I was totally floored with tiredness,  literally slept 3-4 days out of 7 all day and night plus constant  nausea hadnt gone. Although the fluox brought other side effects again I was more able to function so to me was worth putting up with even though im still not fully there yet .

See what the dr says, talk thru the pros n cons but if you feel you haven't really improved  change of dose is def worth considering or change of med tho if id read stuff on this forum at the time I may have done it differently

Do you work? It sounds like you dont get out much ? I work part time and have tried to make it in as much as possible cos I feel better than  when ive stayed at home tho some days I think ive looked pretty dam rough and not been very useful (luckily my job does not require glamour!). 

Sorry, long waffly post......Really hope you can find your way through this soon and feel like you're getting out of that rut.

Let us know what doc thinks

Ttfn

Vix 

• Posted

hey hiya Vix'

umm yip it's a quandry alright, perhaps it's my impatience as much as anything. I do feel better than I started out, however I seem to have got to a point where things have'nt improved for ages, indeed I think I'm slipping down the slope again. Perplexing feelings at this time, I really do'nt fancy having a fresh set of side effects to deal with either if that's what an increased dose causes sad you ask if I work, yes I do I'm self employed gardener handyman with absolutely no work at this moment in time, I did have time of earlier in the year as I had heart attack, so that is perhaps gnawing away at the back of my mind whether I like it

or not, oh dear life can be so trying can't it? and you are so right I do not get out nearly as much as I should, both the weather and my isolated location contribute to that. Here's hoping it's just a minor setback and things will pick up soon. I shall hopefully see my doctor tomorrow for advice at the very least. I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for listening, caio, David smile

• Posted

Bless you have had a hell of a yr haven't you? :-(

Being at home and so isolated cant help you much. And no not much outdoor garden work to be had at the moment. Getting out and being distracted by pretty much anything are  what helps me most i think (even agreed to look after  extra five kids one day in half term just to keep me occupied, you'd think itd stress me more but strangely didnt......). I can only say if you can , get out as much as possible, go see people tho if very isolated thats gonna limit you.

Good luck with docs. Moreover hope tomorrow is a bit brighter for you. Take care

Vix

• Posted

My sons on this med and has taken 20mg from the outset.  It's taken him just over 4 months to be able to return to work and he says he feels 80% better.  He's 6'3".  As more months go by I expect he'll reach the full potential of this drug.

You can get better on 20mg - it takes a long, long time - more than you'd think.  I recovered on 20mg Citralopram, and again it took months.  As each month went by, I noticed subtle changes, and even noticed at the 6 month mark I was still improving.

Everyone reacts differently to different types of SSRI's and doses, but it's worth waiting until at least 3-4 months have passed before deciding.  

• Posted

i cant offer advice about the dose, except maybe chat with your dr, or find a number for MIND or another organsation that could give you more of an insight into the medication.

but i noticed with my daughter she neded some sort of routine to be able to function properly, otherwise she would have just vegetated all day long, you have to help yourself to some degree, the tablets cant do it all, try and make yourself go for a walk, then home and shower, we started small, i would give her 1 goal for the day, to wash her hair, its strange she felt she had achieved something, just doing the smallest of tasks.

are you on any medication since your heart attack? they can cause side effects, beta blockers for instance can really slow you down, some can give you rapid heart rate, i was given one tablet that i kept going dizzy, and was almost falling over just standing still!!

maybe the dark days of winter are not helping, get a SAD lamp, they do suggest they help.

big hugs david, if you lived closer, you could come walking on the moors with me and my puppy! in this weather that really does blow away the cobwebs!

take care today, and try and make yourself do one thing, even if its combing your hair,

sorry, im probably not much help, but im thinking of you. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.