Fluoxetine for 12 weeks. Feeling very low. Can anyone help...has anyone had the same experience?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i'm new here. I am 48, have PCOS, depression and anxiety and lost my Mum a year ago (have now lost both my Mum and Dad...I have a very supportive husband and daughter.....but its not helping me right now for some reason. I've been on Fluoxetine for 12 weeks now (started on 20mg, upped to 40mg by dr 3 weeks ago now) and I feel like i'm feeling worse than ever, periods constantly and all over the place with cycles and heavy bleeding...dr thinks prob perimenopause-had abdominal scan last week and all seems fine. I initially was on Zoplicone alongside the Fluoxetine for a few weeks...and there were a few days where I felt cocooned and positive and happy and very calm...but since stopping the Zoplicone (as I didn't want to stay on anything that could become addictive and dr said it could), i've gone hugely downhill. I am barely going out, in my pyjamas all day and just feeling awful...haven't cried for a few weeks...but its ALL I feel like doing at the moment. Something tells me to keep with it...mainly because i'm frightened of going on another AD and the fact that I am managing to sleep better than before...but the cons are currently outweighing the pro's right now. I have pain in my stomach from anxiety every day, feel very very low and am just not interested in anything at all. The med has also affected my sex drive, orgasm, my appetite....and I feel lost and so low.   I'm not seeing my dr until a few weeks from now as she's off on holiday. Has anyone had similar feeling or experience? I don't know what to do...whether to stick with the Fluoxetine and hope that things get better...or whether I need to be trying something else. I am so confused, I feel like I change my mind every second of the day. Mornings seems to feel slightly better...but by early afternoon I start to feel worse and worse and by night time, i'm really low and just want to sleep so another day is over.  I would really appreciate help, many thanks.x

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi LJK68 xx

Your story has quite a lot of similarities too mine. I've been having tonnes of hormone troubles and also have endometriosis. Anyway I've been on flux slowly increasing for 10 weeks now, I increased from 5mgs to 20 and have been on 20 for nearly 4 weeks. Its ovulation and I'm feeling like utter crap. Feeling like no way these meds are helping. My dr wants me to increase to 40mgs. I'm just wondering how you felt on 20mg and how you feel now on 40? Xx

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Its definitely not easy at all. I would say give the 40mg a try, it did help me and make me feel better..and be good to yourself when you are feeling crap. Relax with a cup of tea and a hot water bottle and a movie and just breathe for a bit. Sometimes you just need to take some time out and put yourself first for a little while.

Take care and let me know how you get on X

• Posted

Merry Christmas everybody.

Lots of love and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year XXX

• Posted

Merry Christmas LJK68, I hope you're having a lovely day. Take care x

• Posted

All the best when it comes...

here's to a much happier, healthier and positive New Year! XXX

• Posted

Hi LJK68, how're you feeling? Hope you had a lovely Christmas and a great new year. I can honestly say I had a good Christmas and new year.

The anxiety and depression didn't ruin it for me. Had a few hard moments but managed with it.

Hope things are going well for you. Xx

• Posted

Hiya,

Well done,that is fantastic to hear..

Unfortunately i've not had a good time.. feel right back to the beginning right now and I know it will be a struggle to get back to where I was.

Am angry with myself for bringing about the whole house selling..but my intentions were good, its just not gone to plan and has been so stressful...just not done me any good at all.

We are giving things a few more weeks to see what happens...but I guess are slowly coming to terms with the fact that we prob won't be able to sell and therefore staying put and I really don't know how I feel about that...although I won't have much choice..

no matter what I hope I will slowly find my way back...and I am so happy for you that you have been feeling better. That's very encouraging to hear.

Long may it continue, here's to a good 2017 X

• Posted

Hi everyone sorry I've been M.I.A!...we sold our house and moved to our new one!!!

so have just been really busy, it was tremendously stressful in the lead up and during but things calming down now and I've registered with a new Dr here so will see them shortly to discuss meds.

Where we live now is absolutely beautiful and surrounded by countryside and beautiful views so I am getting out every day and taking in those views and the fresh air and its been amazing, feels so good.

Unfortunately my weight has gone up and has decided its staying...so prob a mixture of menopause and the pcos. I'm trying not to let it get to me, hubby tells me every day how much he loves me and that's all that matters.

I've had ups and plenty of downs but am trying to find my feet and am giving myself time...by no means perfect, but am choosing to look on the positives instead of negatives and a brand new fresh start.

I hope you all are doing well and apologies for not keeping in touch recently ..but I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? X

• Posted

How are you doing now? How many weeks have you been on your current dose?

I'm 12 weeks today of 20mg and struggling again

• Posted

Hi,

I’ve now been on my increased dose of 40mg for around 10 months...and am struggling again too...its horrible when you think you have got things down and you’re on the right path with a positive frame of mind..then before you know it, back down again. Hang in there as best you can and maybe have a chat with your dr to ask about a possible increased dosage? It may be worth a try. Let me know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.