Fluoxetine for chronic pain relief

Posted , 2 users are following.

has anyone had improvement in upper back pain, (which I believe is anxiety related), when taking fluoxetine? thank you for any advice please.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would get pain between my shoulder blades got everything checked but no physical issues I think it's tied into my anxiety disorder also and I think it's a lot to do with the anxiety getting a bit worse before it gets better so it's easier for you to tense up your muscles. This is I find happens with me

• Posted

Hi Maria. Coincidentally, my pain and other nervy sensations are around and between my shoulder blades. Are you taking fluoxetine and has it helped with the pain.

Thanks.

• Posted

Well I'm only nearly 5 weeks in and having some side effects but hopefully I will notice a difference in a few weeks I've been on this medication before and yes it does help so so much Just takes some time to work

• Posted

Thank you Maria for your reply. I am now eight weeks and I still have the heightened anxiety and nervous tummy when I first wake and things improve later in the afternoon/evening. I have read it could take twelve weeks or more for it to show any benefit. Do you still have the pain between your shoulder,?

good luck.

• Posted

The odd time I would experience a sharp pain between my shoulders then I normally tense and make it worse so I tell myself it's myself and due to how I am making myself so uptight but trust me it will 100% settle. I'm 5 weeks in and also have heightened anxiety in the middle of the night it can take up to 3 months before you will feel a lot better but you will, best of luck

• Posted

Thanks Maria. I will stick with it a bit longer as your assurance that it could take longer to feel better is very helpful.

Thank you. Please keep in touch. by the way my shoulder blade pain is a steady ache. like tense muscles that will not release. thank you so much for your help.

• Posted

Well I'm nearly done week 5 and today I had pain at my shoulder blade but again I was felt very uptight and nervous. Have you went to get it checked out before? Or has your doctor maybe just thought it is muscular I went and got an x ray on mine just to be sure so now when I get any sort of pain which can last up to a few hours I understand that it isn't anything serious and I won't panic. But yes definitely stick out the medication it's changing your whole brain chemistry so it only makes sense that it needs some time and fluoxetine is known as one of the SSRI's that take the longest to work but has great benefits its all about getting over that little bump of a time when side effects are a little infuriating but passes with time

• Posted

Hi again Maria and thank you for the advice and reassurance. Yes I have seen a number of health professionals and nothing sinister found. I know my anxiety is hightened at the moment and this is probably causing this prolonged muscle tension and ache. It is a bit of viscous circle of pain, fear and anxiety, which I am hoping the fluoxetine will help calm down. I hope you are feeling some benefits now? As you have been on fluoxetine before, you will understand better on how and when it starts to work for you.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.