Fluoxetine HCL 20mg (Prozac)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just got prescribed this medication today and nervous to start taking it. I'm a 24 year old male who's been suffering with anxiety for the better part of this year. Have any of you guys taken this Medication and how does it effect you?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's a well-known SSRI anti-depresant with generally good effects and outcomes in the people who take it. Side-effects are common in the first few weeks but are generally gone by week five. Fluoxetine takes roughly eight weeks to kick in fully. If you don't feel benefit at this point the options are

a) increase the dose to 40mg    or

b) start again with a different medication.

Most people find that side-effects are mild and some feel none at all.

• Posted

Oh, and Will - it works well for anxiety so don't sit staring at the box. Start taking the darn stuff, ok?

Chrissie.

• Posted

I appreciate the respond and yes I'm going to start taking them but I always worry so wanted to hear what people had to say about them. Also freaked out bc the prescription was so cheap. Only 1$

• Posted

So you wanted to pay more?

I bet it's generic. That's always well cheap. Think like this - every drug company in the US makes their brand of fluoxetine......result.....the patient wins. You could always take it back and ask for a more expensive brand lol. Seriously, I have kids your age and I would definitely encourage them to take the medicine, not store the box by their bed for several days while they thought about it.

xx Chrissie

• Posted

Didn't want to pay more. Just new to all of this and I've been prescribed antidepressants that didn't do well for me and they've all been well over 1$ so was just curious as to why. I've taken the medicine already. Just thought I'd see what other people had to say. Never said I was gonna keep it on display next to my bed.

• Posted

My apologies, Will. I misunderstood you. I got the impression that you weren't very keen to start taking the Prozac, and i was trying to encourage you to take it. I hope i didn't come across as offensive.

I was thinking about the low price of Prozac. it must be because it was the first medicine of its kind to be invented.

• Posted

No offense taken. I've been on the Prozac for a couple days and it's given me weird feeling. Almost as If I drank a whole bunch of caffeine.

• Posted

I'm a Registered Nurse, Will. Please take the medication.......

Chrissie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.