Fluoxetine & headaches/migraines - does it help??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've suffered from both headaches and migraines since puberty (am now 23, nearly 24) and have been on propranolol for roughly 7 years to combat them.

Recently, however, I've been getting more headaches (and feeling low because if them) so my doctor has prescribed me with a small dose of Fluoxetine (1ml to be increased to 2ml).

Has anyone ever used Fluoxetine as a treatment for headaches before? Does it tend to work? I've always been wary of antidepressants so am a bit concerned about starting it even though I will be on such a low dose

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mmmmm personally if you're not suffering with anxiety and / or depression then I'd stay well clear of SSRI's as you may get more than you bargained for. These heighten anxiety and if you haven't got it then you may well find yourself suffering with it.

Someone else may have a better input than me though.

K x

• Posted

I do suffer from anxiety however it's only mild. That was, in part, why my doctor originally prescribed me with propranolol (it can be used to treat anxiety) as she expected my daily headaches were stress-related

p.s. thanks for replying!

• Posted

Hi

Ah - then SSRI's will probably help you 😉 They're quite tough meds and your symptoms will be heightened initially. It also can take many months before you notice any small improvement - don't try and rush the meds xx.

Hope they help you.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.