Fluoxetine increase from 20mg to 40mg day by day update

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

i believe there are so many people on this forum who are seeking answers to the questions regarding their recovery - either to keep going on meds, stop, increase, change and etc.

i was on 20mg Fluoxetine for 10 months. Have started with terrible side effects - nausea, insane anxiety, depression, shakes, night sweats, lost of appetite and weight, insomnia and another 100 symptoms. By week 12 they start to subside one by one. Recovery is like rollercoster , up and down. As i have read reviews you need give time fir meds to balance. So after 10 months i was still going up and down and my GP advised to increase - 20mg in morning and 20mg in evening - to try and balance my mornings as they were always the worst.

I will keep updating my journey and it might help someone who is on the same journey and question their recovery

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

30 days for me today felt rough yesterday anxiety, Today hardly any anxiety but feeling a little distant and tired. onwards and upwards

• Edited

5 weeks on increase.

What a difference.!! Morning anxiety gone, feeling lighter, mood is getting better..

Looking forward to see even more improvement.

• Posted

Week 6 on increase

Feeling that finally i am heading in right direction.

Increase totally change everything for me - anxiety gone, rumination is gone, mood is getting better.

Sometimes the dose we are taking just not enough and small adjustment is all its take to start feeling better.

Wishing quick recovery to everyone

• Posted

7 weeks on increase

No morning anxiety, no ups and downs.

Life looks and feels different, my passion for life is coming back.

Taking 40mg in the morning.

• Posted

hi again , does insomnia come and go i felt fine yesterday as in the whole day more loke me now i can not sleep at all many thanks

• Posted

2 months on increase

Dont give up. There is light in the end of this tunnel.

• Posted

Hi Nataliya, I spoke too soon in my post earlier this week. I woke up about 3am feeling sick and achy and almost fainted. Was soaking in sweats after a very nasty dream. I'm still very shaky and a bit anxious, what a downer from yesterday, although I've been a bit down the past two days. I've been on meds for 14 weeks total, and the increase from 20 to 40 for just over 4 weeks. I was doing so well over Xmas and new year. did you get anything like that after this time? I'm guessing it's a bad blip but it's very scary.

• Edited

Yes Phil

its just a blip, they could be pretty intense at the start but than they get lighter and much more managable.

you will be fine, just go through it knowing it will pass

• Posted

Thanks Nataliya

omg this is really grim today, nausea is back and the intrusive thoughts/memories which are just so weird. I'm starting counseling tomorrow face to face, and supposed to be going back to work on Tuesday, what a setback. How long did some of your blips last for? I'm wondering if 40mg is too much over the longer time and it's the serotonin syndrome, I'm twitching and feeling like I have the flu, and cold again. I got a bit tearful earlier as well, damnit. Did you get similar feelings? What a setback.

• Posted

Hi Phil

my journey was long and bit different.

I was taking 20mg fluoxetine for almost a year, starting with very bad side effects, it was so terrifying that i even called the help line. Than side effects - nausea, lost of appetite ( i lost 6 kilos in few weeks), shakes, sweats and many more - have passed but morning anxiety that lasted till 4-5pm never left. I was anxious, scared, upset, no hope for recovery in the morning and after 5 pm like switch was turned and i was normal happy self. than morning start to get better, than i have some morning anxiety free but every month i had a blip - low mood, scared, introusive thoughts, feeling hopeless, no desire and etc

So than i decided to increase, i had some sides for 4-5 days and then every day i was feeling better. 40mg is not high dose, thats the dose phdyhitrist preffer to start with.

Dont worry about serotonin syndrome because if prople have it - it comes in first 24hrs after taking meds, its like allergic reaction.

Just be ready for some ups and downs on the way, recovery is like rollercoster, but every blip will become lighter until goes away

stay strong, worst is behind, you will get there

• Edited

Thanks again Nataliya!! I'm just going back to work this morning after 7 months of hell, my god! I'm a bit nervous as I didn't sleep well and had the dreams and sweats, did you find they disappeared eventually? I had my first counseling session yesterday, strange times. Wanted to say thank you for helping me get back to this place with your support in your messages x

• Posted

Hi Phil

you are on right track and looks like meds working for you - its great ! It will get better and better trust me.

Dont worry about insomnia, sweats and dreams - it will all go back to normal. My dreams was like movies, not always in good sense of this word lol But its all gone now.

Just give your self a time, dont set up a time frame for recovery - your body is doing it i its own pace. Soon you will be si happy ypu didnt give up meds because its working .

Hope to hear from you again about your recovery. Congrats on getting back to work, you will do just great !

• Edited

4 months on increase

I ve got my life back. Still have occasional stumble, smth triggers my memory how i struggled and it scares me. So just need time to forget about it.

Its working, please be strong and try all possible options - dose, time when you take meds - before you give up. It works different for everyone but it works.

• Edited

I feel a little bit like this too. I'm 2 months on the increase now and the past couple mornings I've had slightly heightened anxiety in response to some upcoming events, which in turn makes me panic the intense anxiety may be starting up again. But, I need to remind myself how in control I am compared to where I was before. Thanks for keeping us updated on your journey - it's been really helpful!

• Posted

just need some extra time, one day at the time, i am so glad you are getting better. Keep going 😃)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.