Fluoxetine increased from 20mg to 40mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wonder if anyone can help I have been suffering with anxiety for years but sadly my mum passed away 3 months ago and I have been recently been more down and crying so the doctor increased my tablets but scared to take it because of the side effects I suffered when started. All the family don't want me to take them too so I'm trying to do meditation but finding it hard I'm thinking I will just have to succumb and take the 40mg? Can anyone help and advise if they will help me?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi baz. Ive gone thru the exact same thing xx lost my stepdad to cancer in sept which was a catalyst for severe anxiety & major depression bout im luckily turning a corner but had to go up to 40 mg fluoxetine & then to 60 mg the maximum dose the last 6 weeks as there was no significant improvement. U may only nd the 40. Obv meditation etc acupuncture help for some worth a try. But i have ppl telling me wat to take & not to take & its not them going thru the situation ur in. U know how bad u are feeling better than anyone else baz

Its yr body yr decision. Good luck let us know how u get on bless u xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I know I don't want to feel like this.

• Posted

I know its horrid but can be overcome definately.. im proof of that with grief like bob said its a diff element and adds extra pain and loss but talking about it will help. Dont bottle it up xxx
  • Posted

Baz

Try and come to terms with your loss, talk to your family members about the good and bad parts both celebrate your Mothers life. You will find many of your close family members will be feeling the same as you and need to move on and come to terms with everyones loss, it will be suprising what people will remember of your Mother and it will give you all closure.

It will of course take time to move on, in fact possibly two years, although you will never ever loose the memories that you did share

BOB

• Posted

Hello Baz

Very sympathetic with you.

However, 40mg really isn't a high dose of Fluoxetine. It's still only 1/2 the maximum dose.

I've just gone from Fluoxetine 20mg to 100mgSertraline - don't faint at the jump! 100mg is equivalent to 40mg Fluoxetine. So I could, in theory, still go up to 200mg Sertraline.

As Sertraline is the same group of antidepressants as Fluoxetine, and I've been on Fluoxetine for a number of years prior, hopefully I'm speaking with reasonable authority.

Then your family / other options. Anti-depressants are simply pills to correct a chemical imbalance in your body that has developed. This is not a highly addictive, harmful drug. You're not being asked to take cocaine. This is just the same as any prescriptive pill for any other condition in a sense.

Nor is it a substitute for counselling, so get that as well if you need it.

Encourage your family to do some research so that they get a paradigm shift on taking the medication, as you could really do with their support (ironically it was the other way round for me, I was the stubborn one who eventually agreed to start taking anti-depressants! - and am now very accepting, they help me get through, without destabilising my life in other ways).

Best of luck.

WN

• Posted

Thats so true wn. I commented to baz earlier as im on 60 fluoxetine as 40 had no major improvement in my case. Well said ;0) xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for your help I have taken the 40mg this morning because had a bad night and feel like I did 15 years ago. So I'm hoping they will get me onto an even keel. I have tried sertraline and different anxiety tablets because had a serious panic attack but unfortunately I still felt rubbish and asked to go back on fluxotine because this did work for me 15 years ago, so was sad that they haven't worked but I suppose losing your mum is the worse feelings you can go through so maybe I do need this extra help. Xx

• Posted

Yes baz i feel u do. Xxx it certainly wont do any harm as you know u have been on it b4. I had to resort 2 diazepam short term as well in november as i just couldnt cope. And believe u me in the uk they are given out by gps very sparingly so i must have been bad. Its still a big loss & im dealing with that as u will for a time but u dont need major depression on top of grief... u take watever makes u feel better, & sensible drs would wean u off a.depressants etc if after a tym u didnt want them and felt well. But be cautious with that as u usually feel well bcoz the tabs r workin xXx here to listen. Good luck :0) xx

• Posted

Baz if you have been advised regarding your medication to increse your does to 40mg I would say take the higher dose  An increase is given not just because of your condition it is given as a course, so you have had the time to get used to the drug before the higher regular dose

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.