Fluoxetine mood up and down

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am just at the beginning of this drug, mood is up and down, some days I am crying and feel hopeless like today which lasts about 4ish days, then I am OK (not happy) for another 4ish days. Does this mean the med is going to work?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi sjay

You don't say how long uv been taking this drug? If still early days your mood will be all over the place, the first two weeks of me taking fluoxetine was like hell on earth, crying most days, didn't think I'd ever get out of this black tunnel I was stuck in...

But things slowly improved, and I mean slowly... so uv got to just bear with it and take each day as it comes....

This is my 3rd month on this med, and I'm now on 60mg and feeling sooooo much better now, no more feeling of being so low or crying that's gone, even now Iv had a few days where I didn't feel good, as that's the way life is,..

Iv been to see my doc this morin and he said I'd looked the best I have for some while, and it still will be working in my body, and it will be another month or two for it being at its best.. if it stays the way I am now then fantastic that's what I want, but I'm going through the menopause as well so my feelings will be a bit up and down...

Stick with it and give yourself time to get use to it, we all want this med to work on day 1 but sorry it don't, this is a slow working med, good luk and I hope you see things better very soon... 

lots of hugs and we are all here to talk to if at any time you wish to 🤗X

• Posted

I started on October 4th but have the liquid version and have been staggering my dose, missing doses, I think this could be the reason. After the two weeks did things calm down?
    • Posted

Right.. prob does explain it, missing dose of it, I would say your body wouldn't no if it was coming or going...  so uv been on it around 4weeks give or take, I think if you had stuck by it every day without missing any, you may of seen some different by now, BUT it's still way to early to be feeling at your best or some what better any way...

Try and not miss any at all as u need for it to get in your body, as your body won't know what's happening...

Good luk and I do hope it will help you in the end..

🤗X

• Posted

Hi Dawn

When can you say you started to see a difference? Tomorrow is week 4 for me on 20mg and still all over the place. 

• Posted

Hi bianca iv just gone into week 3 and my side effects are so bad. I feel like im always dizzy and feeling like i need to be sik and i keep getting palpitations. Its so horrible im only on 10mg have your side effects started to ease yet? I dont no if i can wait it out much longer xxx
    • Posted

Hi bianca

Hopefully you should start turning a corner, not wow ho I'm fantastic... but you may have good days, and bad days, as this med is still working for you..

At 4 weeks I went up to 40mg then, as doc advised me, I was a bit scared as people had said going up a dose you will go backwards again, but my doc said it was in my  body already so won't be bad.... and FOR ME it wasn't, still had fuzzy head at times, but nothing bad, and I can cope with that, the depression I couldn't , as your mind plays alful games with you, I was in a dark tunnel where I saw no light,..

So around 6weeks on 40 I seem to level out in the middle, and had a few ups and downs, but felt better then b4 I ever started this drug... 

at 8 weeks I then went up to 60mg I'm now in to my 13th week and must say I feel loads better, Iv not had low days, odd day feel cheesed of if you get me, but I exspect that, as only human, still have a fuzzy head prob every other day, but nothing that bothers me....

I never throught I'd get to this stage, and there were many times I wanted to give in with this drug, BUT which is best, a life of being depressed 😩 Or sticking this drug out, and giving it enough time to work, it's a very, very slow drug to work, that's what you need to keep in your mind, if you stop now, then it's back to the begging and start a new drug, and you could just be the same with side effect again????

we are all differen, what works for some won't always work for another, but untill you give it time you won't know, 4 weeks is still early, but you are doing really good, only time can see if this drug is for you..

All I can say is I'm glad I stuck it out 🤗 Big hug xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. 

I just thought I've hit 4 weeks and things just improve.   But everyone is saying it needs longer.

Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.