fluoxetine: New to all of this, need some advice as am a bit concerened

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking Fluoxetine a week ago, i constantly feel as though there is something stuck down my throat. I also can not sleep. My sleep was bad before i was on this medication but i think it is starting to keep me wide awake? Just looking for any advice, tips etc to make me feel better about things because im super nervous taking this medication and need some reassurance 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor to prescribe you some trazadone. It is a mild sleep aid that works extremely well. It is also an antidepressant that could help benefit Flouxetine. Give Flouxetine 6 to 8 weeks to start noticing a difference . Anxiety will increase when first taking Flouxetine. This will pass in time. Just gotta ride it out
    • Posted

Thank you for this advice, i have an appointment next week so will discuss this with her. 
  • Posted

Hi Pixie.  I started taking fluoxetine 3 months ago.  This is my first time on any kind of anti-depressant and, like you, I was super nervous about taking it.  I think that anxiety is bound to contribute to your inability to sleep.  I know that my doctor told me that it's often the case that anxiety levels increase in the early stages of taking it.  When I started taking it, I was anxious constantly i.e. 24/7 and felt constantly hyper.  That has gradually settled down and is now not a daily feature, although I do still have moments of anxiety.  The one thing that my doctor emphasised is that this is a gradual, and often slow, process.  It varies greatly from person to person, but I was told not be surprised if it took as long as 3 months before I started to feel an improvement.  As things have turned out, I would say I was at the 8 week mark before I noticed a difference, although I know that I have some way to go yet.  I've found that taking it at bedtime works for me as I usually have a good night's sleep.  However, I did this on the advice of my doctor and have found that it works for me.  You might want to ask your doctor about it.  I think it's perfectly natural to need reassurance when you are new to a medication and I know that I certainly felt like this.  The main thing is, if you have any concerns, make sure you discuss them with your doctor.  I also found it very helpful (reassuring too) reading through the forum.  It makes you realise that many others are experiencing similar feelings and concerns to yourself.  Sorry to have rambled on and I hope that you feel somewhat reassured.

• Posted

Thank you for spending time writing this response. I have only been on it a week or so and i too feel very hyper and more anxious than im used to. This has defintely reasured me, are there any tips or advice you could give me in regards to how to sleep well whilst on Fluoxetine? Also at what time do you take it because im taking it at about 10 o'clock and im usually wide awake throughout the night! Thanks again 

• Posted

You are very welcome.  I am so glad that you feel reassured.  As far as sleeping well goes, I think that with me it's a combination of taking it at bedtime and the fact that my energy levels are so low that I can quite frankly fall asleep at any time of the day!  However, when I was experiencing high anxiety levels in the earlier days (as I outlined in my previous post) I had trouble sleeping then.  You mentioned that you take it about 10 o'clock.  I am presuming you mean 10pm?  I usually take mine about 30mins before I get into bed.  My doctor did mention that it doesn't suit everyone to take it at bedtime, as some people find that it keeps them awake.  I think that it varies so much from person to person, you would be best advised discussing it with your doctor.  I have read various tips for sleeping such as keeping the room cool and well ventilated, quiet and doing something relaxing prior to bedtime, but I've found that relaxing can be something of a challenge when you're hyped up with anxiety!  I find that reading in bed usually relaxes me, so if you're a keen reader, you could perhaps give that a go.  If I make any helpful discoveries along my own "journey" I will let you know, although please don't hesitate to contact me if you need to ask anything else.  You are welcome to mail me directly if you prefer.

• Posted

Your advice is very much appreciated. I will continue taking mine at night untill my next appointment with my doctor. Then maybe i can try and take it in the morning. I will get a book ready for this evening and see if this helps. I wish you the very best and will stay in contact. Thank you 

• Posted

Hi pixie piper, I was so nervous about taking this medication. I tried it for three days then got off cause I was literally terrified but when the anxiety got worse then feeling hopeless I wouldn't get better I knew I needed something. I've been on this for almost 3 months. I still have some side effects but not as much. It was weird cause I felt the best at 5 or 6 weeks then it got worse then around the 3 month mark I noticed I don't have as many side effects anymore. And it has helped. I take mine in the morning. When I take it, it wakes me up and I take it at 10 on the morning. Just saying that it can get a lot worse before it gets better. There were a couple times o thought o should admit myself to a hospital cause of how bad I felt. But I have a great support system and someone that helps me everyday get through it and it has helped a great deal. I'm hopin I can get off of it soon because that's how much better I feel. I can also tell you that the anxiety can get a lot worse than before. You need to learn to breathe and relax. I'm also prescribed Xanax so when I felt I couldn't breathe or I was freaking out I took it. I had to take .25 three times a day for almost a month and now I'm down to taking a quarter or two a day. And hopefully getting off of it soon. My mom takes hers at night because she can fall asleep as well but some people it doesn't work for them. Having a therapist and a psychiatrist has helped me a lot as well get through this process. It will all be okay in the end and just know you may not have to take this forever just until you feel better. Hope everything gets better for you!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your own experience, again it is grately appreciated. Hearing your own experience does reassure me in regards to feeling as though my anxiety has heightened since i have taken this medication. I will let you know what avenues i decide to go down in respect to psychiatrict support. Thanks again Mikayla !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.