Fluoxetine or Citalopram?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all - I've been experiencing some nasty depression and anxiety again recently due to work and relationships. January to March were pretty good and had more energy and positive momentum. A couple of triggers at the end of March firstly made my mood plummet, which sapped my energy, and then it turned into anxiety in the last couple of days.

I've taken fluoxetine in the past and it helped with low mood, but not so much the anxiety. Citalopram helped with anxiety but made me very drowsy even on the 10 and 20mg dosage. I took it in the morning for about 3 months last year until things improved.

I may be starting a new job in a few months and I really don't want anxiety to creep in and mess things up. 

I'd take citaolpram again but it turns me into a zombie - maybe I should take it at night but need to sleep otherwise things are 10 times worse? sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi David..

Sorry to hear you are going thru all of this.

I am wondering if your anxiety is more situational anxiety... in other words if you changed the things that were making you anxious would it go away?

Have you thought about finding someone to talk thru things with?

Or do you feel that it is more clinical related anxiety and no matter what the issue is whether small or otherwise it sends your stress and worry thru the roof. Basically you feel like you are getting upset over nothing but still feel anxious etc about what would usually be something you would not even blink at.

• Posted

Hi there thanks for your reply and genuine interest. 

Some of it is situational anxiety and some has been there all my life. I've run my own business for nearly 9 years and I'm no longer enjoying it and it's not paying well. I've basically fallen out of love with it and need a change. I just don't know what that change is and it's causing depression and anxiety as the thought of employment is very strange after 9 years' self-employment. I seem to be trapped between a rock and a hard place. I don't feel applying for jobs at the moment as I think taking a job could trigger a real bad episode.

Also I've been unable to find a stable relationship for a good few years and I often isolated and generally lacking any fulfilment in my life. I'm nearly 40 with no kids or partner and feel as though there's something quite wrong.

If the above two issues were resolved I think I'd feel 75% better again to be honest. 

I've always felt I'm missing something regarding confidence, fulfilment and direction.

• Posted

Hi David,

thank you for sharing about your life. From what you describe, I think Lookingonwards makes a good point, about possibly speaking to someone. I absolutely understand you - I gave up a career I didn't enjoy 1.5 yrs ago, had some breakdowns, took some time off to recover but still in a space I don't know what to do with myself and scared of new jobs. And also I often have anxiety connected with relationships that do not work out, they tend to be triggers for my anxiety.

I started Fluoxetine 8 weeks ago when it was getting all too much, but one of the side effect was an increased anxiety for about 4 weeks, which did not help. Those stopped now. I think Fluoxetine can work well with anxiety but I think it takes time, maybe at least 3 months to work. It does make me a little tired but not really completely energy less. I have a friend who takes Citalopram and although she feels better mentally she says it makes her very low on energy and unmotivated and withdrawn a lot, wanting to sleep al the time. But everyone is different, it can be unpredicted how the meds work for you.

What I would like to say is that it may be good for you to explore the roots of feeling a little low about yourself, the feeling you describe about 'there is something wrong'. It is something a lot of us struggle the most, feeling 'not good enough', it is the main source of depression in society and a lot of people solve this with alcohol and other addictions too, or dysfunctional relationships etc. It is a common feeling. I suffer from it too. Therapy has really helped me immensely with understanding where these feelings come from; and slowly I am working on creating new ways of thinking about myself. It takes time. I have also done group therapy which was eye opening for me, to see how many people suffer from the same feelings, and it was reassuring I was not alone with these struggles and that they are pretty normal and there is nothing wrong with me.

The problem with thinking that getting a partner/family or better job will make us happy and define our value is that all these things are external issues that we cannot always control and that can change at any time and become triggers in the future again. We need to learn to be happy on our own also, so we become grounded and stronger instead of relying on someone else or something external to make us happy. At least this is what I think.

All the best with whatever meds/ steps you decide to take. But you are not alone in theses struggles and bad situations and feelings are only temporary and will pass, and everyone with the right help can recover!

Lx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.