Fluoxetine (Prozac) Start-Up Symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ugh....this definitely feels like deja vu, but here goes...I (re)started fluoxetine four days ago and am already freaking out about the start-up symptoms...my anxiety has definitely increased and I keep having weird rushes of panic...and my head is foggy and I can't seem to settle down...I know all of this is normal, but I guess I just need some reassurance from y'all that it will get better...I can't remember how long this part of it lasts.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Im going to restart soon too after 4 months. Im a bit scared myself. Scared it may not work even.  I would think 2 weeks would be better?
    • Posted

Stay away from psychiatric drugs if possible. They do long term damage.
    • Posted

Based on my own experience, it took close to a month to feel better...but I did feel SO MUCH better while I was on the medication...that's why I'm sticking with it!

• Posted

Nothing normal about it. Your body is saying NO to the DRUGS for a reason.
  • Edited

wearykitty, this guy that just posted is ANTI medications if you look at his other responses. He causes quite a bit of fear on a few of my posts. 
    • Posted

I'm on these drugs and I'm trying to warn people. I'm having trouble getting off and my original symptoms are now 100 times worse. Please watch youtube videos and spare yourself the misery.

• Posted

They are not medications....they are DRUGS. Psychiatric drugs do not cure anything. There is no proof that anxiety is caused by "lack of serotonin."

• Edited

I actually had a great deal of success using fluoxetine for my anxiety...was on it for just over a year and felt great, stopped cold turkey about eighteen months ago (with no issues), felt great during that time, and have just restarted it because my anxiety started to become unmanageable again...so I'm definitely a believer in the drug (and believe me, that's saying a lot....I was hard-core opposed for two miserable years while anxiety ravaged my life)...I understand that it's not for everyone, but it worked for me.

• Posted

Amen. same here. You don't need to be on it all the time for some people. And cold turkey isn't bad for prozac at a low dose because of the half life.

• Edited

Rob, totally agree with you about that guy, he is not helpful, does not even say it his his personal experience they are bad, could really confuse people who really need certain meds and make their anxiety worse, lots of people benefit from these meds when prescribed and used properly😊??

• Posted

Hello,

I weaned off Lexapro around 6 months ago after going through 3 years of medication and therapy, both talk and CBT, due to the ridiculous amount of side effects I was having.  However the lex had helped kill my anxiety, almost too good.  Both my therapists and meds doc thought I was ready to wean, well it started out fine and now I'm right back to square one.

Anyway, I started Prozac 20mg one week ago and feel the exact same way that you do.  I am going to give it 8 weeks and if there is no change I am going to try the lexapro again.  Almost all of my friends that have taken this swear it gets better after the first couple weeks.  Here's to hoping.

• Edited

Problem is that psychiatric drugs do not cure anything. And your body becomes unable to fight the problem without the drug. When that happens, the very same doctor labels you an "addict."

• Edited

dude, no one here or even psychiatrists says its a cure. its a tool to help, anxiety there is no cure for it and no one claims there is, your body also doesnt depend on the medication, it is also used to help with anxiety so you can actually go to therapy, people also cant always go to therapy so the medication is very helpful for some. i know this is years old but your comments are so ignorant and people might still come across this post and read your fearmonging misinformation. you are literally not helping anyone.

• Posted

The good thing is medication is another "tool" that if used properly and with guidence you will get out of the problem. I have used it on and off over the years and it helped me tremendously. My rule of thumb, taper on and taper off and listen to your doctor. I usually go on for about 4-7 months then get off for a few years. Then something comes up and I need a little help. Meditation CBT, Massages, Books , all of that I have done over the years and its helps but sometimes peoples chemistry and genetics make it harder for them and thats where medication comes in.

You can fight off cancer with eating well sometimes. Other times you need chemo.  Go slow.

• Posted

Hi rob. I’m going to start citalipram this week for the second time. You mentioned tapering on. How slowly did you do this? I tapered off really slow and had no side effects but had awful side effects when I started taking them initially and keen to avoid this again if possible! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.