Fluoxetine Rollercoaster... please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started 20 mg of fluoxetine 7 days ago and I feel horrible. One moment I'm okay, the next I'm anxious about my health. I don't have much energy on these things and whilst I want to sleep I can't do much but just lay in bed. My concentration is poor so watching TV or a movie doesn't hold my interest. I cannot sleep at night as I wakeup within 2 hours of falling asleep and I wake up every morning panicking with an upset stomach. Is this normal? What are others experiencing on this medication?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

IMO,

I think if you're having problems this early on, that you definitely don't let her or him talk you into a higher dose. And in my case, I had problems right off the bat and it has taken me 2 months to wean myself off of this. It has had the most serious side effects in my case even with being prescribed every benzodiazepine on the planet. I don't want to tell you what to do, so I will just say that there are at least 6 to 10 weeks of side effects that you will have to go through before feeling better. It was a horrible experience for me.

I wish you the very best of luck

• Posted

I am just ending week 5 and went through what you describe. Feeling worse in the morning seems to be quite normal when starting on these meds. Waking up all the time.. strange dreams.. bad concentration.. fuzzy head.. upset tummy.. headaches.. nausea... I have had it all. But I have worked out that these tablets do not work instantly.. they need time to build up.. they are 1 step forward 3 steps backwards to start off with.. but slowly it gets better. I am still getting some side effects evem now.
    • Posted

Yes I did I was so weak I couldn't hardly walk. I need to ask you did your legs get weak I'm having that right now.

• Posted

Hi Nai,

Ive just posted my experience with this medication on the thread called "thinking of stopping" please read it, it might help you smile

• Posted

Hi guys - I am on day 5 of 20mg daily and am experiencing many of the same side effects too. Loss of appetite, not sleeping, upset stomach/diarrhea, headache, anxiety pangs, wacky vision ... just an overall feeling of being "off." Ugh! I have taken fluoxetine in the past (for at least 4 years), took a break for the past 7 months and honestly wish I hadn't. I don't remember having any of these side effects the first time I took this medication but who knows, maybe they are different the second time around or maybe my body chemistry is just different. My pharmacist told me you could take a medication a dozen times and never have a problem and then one day you might react even though you never did before. My previous experience was that taking this was extremely helpful but it does take a few weeks to really get it going. I was originally diagnosed with post-partum depression after my daughter was born but now I went back on for recurring depression & anxiety. It is very good and if my experience this time will be as good I will gladly endure the side effects. Just want to feel "myself" again! Someone else on here said we are all just trying to figure it out and they are so right. Try to surround yourself with supportive people as much as you can. Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.