Fluoxetine to Citalopram after 8 weeks? Thoughts?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I've been taking 40mg fluoextine for anxiety for 8 weeks now - mainly around sleep and social anxiety. My cofidence also feels shot.

While the fluoxetine has lifted my mood at times, it doesn't seem to be helping with the stronger anxiety feelings, shakes and thoughts of dread mainly related to work / social situations.

Any experiences of switching to Citalopram from Fluoextine?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I did it and tapered over with no real problems as they are both pretty similar. Think i went half and half for a week then complete switch over, 
  • Posted

Hi David, i have been on Fluxotine and Citalopram. Currently on Citalopram for the last 5 months and this works best for anxiety.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

I've been on Citalopram many times David and apart from the last time I was on it,it's always worked great for me. 

It got me out of the biggest,darkest hole you can imagine 13 years ago. I had a major breakdown and even though I know some of the work you have to do yourself,I don't think id of found the strength without the Citalopram.

If the Fluoxetine is lifting your mood then it may only be a matter of time before it starts to work better for your anxiety.

The medication I am on has only started to help in a way I'm satisfied with over the last week. I've been on it just over 9 weeks.

I think you will know yourself if things are improving or if you need to try something new but my doctor told me that up until 8 weeks they are still figuring out the job they have to do which is why we are so up and down. 8 weeks and over is when the improvements are more apparent xxx

• Posted

Hi Gillian, as always great advise! I like what you said about up until 8 weeks the meds are figuring out the job they have to do that really resonates with me. Week 9 this week so maybe I'll see more apparent improvement soon. You know from our previous posts that I've felt I've declined over last 8 weeks having been stuck in a particular thought process. Posted below that I'm thinking of switching to CIT, any thoughts?

nx

• Posted

I've been on Venlefaxine for 15 years on and off and perminantly for 4 years however a relapse 8 weeks ago and my dose was increased but I've not really felt much improvement so am going to discuss switching to CIT but side effects for some don't sound appealing! 

I was on Prozac (flux) once and it didn't agree with me at all so if they are pretty similar I'm not convinced CIT will be easier. 

All im going to do is discuss it with GP abd weigh it up after asking him "what can I expect from swapping by way of side effects, withdrawal and benefits".

Ideally I'd rather be referred to a psychiatrist.

Nx 

• Posted

Thanks all for your comments - very helpful - GP wants to take me off fluoxetine over the next 3 weeks from 40, 20 then a week of nothing before starting the citalopram.

Why do I always feel that GP's just don't take the brain / mind as seriously as any other body part? I often sit there feeling embarassed that my mind is not functioning as well as it could.

What's the difference if my arms and legs didn't function??!

Not my fault I have childhood hang ups!

(Rant over) x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.