Fluoxetine to Effexor

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone have any input on Effexor? I've been on Fluoxetine for nine weeks and although there have been minor improvements, I still feel spacey and off; bouts of hysterical crying. I'm afraid of switching to Effexor for fear of what it might do to my brain; further damage...rendering me disabled. Before these meds, nine months ago, I was a fully functional graduate student. I sincerely need input as to the Effexor. I've had a genetic test done which showed that ssri's weren't good for me and that Effexor and Wellbutrin would be better suited. I'm not sure how much credibility to give to the testing. I chose the Prozac thinking it would lessen feelings of depersonalization/derealization...and it did to a degree. I'm afraid Effexor may bring it back or worsen it. Any input would be appreciated.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I had the genetic testing done, too, and with the same results - after I had been on Effexor after 11 months. It had helped during that time but with a couple of two-week lay in bed and cry episodes.

It took almost 18 months for me to say that I am happier now than any clam. I may die tomorrow but I feel vibrant and positive today. I don't have the haunting thoughts and dreams any longer. No more staying inside, out of reach and miserable days.

I don't know that te Effexor was the complete reason for getting better but it had to have played a role - and I'm not going to stop taking it just now. I'll hang on for a year, maybe, and then see what my doctor may recommend.

During 30 years I've been on so many antidepressents. One was wonderful - Nardil - but it brought with it stroke-level hypertension and a ridiculous number of diet restrictions (no cheese? Please!).

I have to give Effexor at least half of the credit. I had a few side-effects in the first month but none after that. I would certainly choose Effexor again - well over Prozac.

• Posted

Thank you for your story. I'm glad you had success with it. I guess I'm just worried b/c I've never been through something so traumatic as what I believe the meds did to my brain. Nine months after taking the first dose, I am nowhere near functioning. Before the meds, I was so functional and almost done with graduating graduate school...Now, I have nothing....no work, flat, depressed moods...it's just awful. I guess I'm afraid to try a new med for fear of what it will do to my brain. I'm already so confused and foggy daily. I certainly wish I could have an outcome similar to yours. Best wishes and continued wellness.

• Posted

kim - I began Seroquel at the same time as Effexor and I was useless for a month. I had no affect at all - good or bad - on SSRI's.

Useless and crazy and sweating and confused and virtually every possible side-effect. But just for one month (a little less than an entire month).

And then I started feeling better.

I had manic episodes as well - symptoms were excessive spending and horribly dangerous sexual escapades. And while I felt 'good' during those episodes it's nothing like the well-being that i feel today.

I talk. I make people laugh again and i laugh myself. Even my ravged body feels better. I don't feel as though I'm a monster deserving punishment now. Love's lost? It happens but there are others. i felt as if I was in an unending stage of grieving - I finally stopped ad accepted reality.

I really encourage you to try Effexor even if you go through a month of hell as I did. In month two or three you won't be cured but you will be functional (and I think of my post-grad years of some of the best of my life because of the people that I met and the enthusiasm and passion that I felt).

I'm anxious to hear what others may say - too often the subject here is how to get off of the drug. I'll follow along...

• Posted

Thank you...I'm glad you found your relief. I pray for the same. I'm very skeptical though because I've literally been through hell for nine months. I was in grad school, had the panic attack, put on Klonopin then went to doctor for ssri to help come off benzo. Rx'd Lexapro-threw me into marathon crying spells....now, here I sit much the same with prozac; depersonalized/derealized...just off...I have never felt this way in my life; was always a functional, mentally well person...didn't know this was even possible. I might give it a chance but I'm seriously thinking of getting off everything. The only concern is, what will it do to my emotional state then?

• Posted

The decision is up to you. I have taken it for many years and in the process of tapering off of it. If I knew then what I do now I would have never started in the first place!
    • Posted

Thank you....I just can't decide but from what has happened to me this far into medication trials, I'm so skeptical anything will work. I'm tempted to try this Dr. Brogan's vital mind reset which is healing with food, but my moods are so off...I just never thought I'd be in so deep.

• Posted

kim - I felt the same. In that 30 years time 1985-2015, I had, as I said, tried everything: I was 3 years in a mental hospital, 1999-2002, and that's where I was given the Nardil. I finally had a response to ECT.

I wouln't wish such a dehumanizing experience on anyone.

I'm not certain what dsj means - it is known for horrible withdrawals ut I take other meds with worse withdrawal symptoms.

I would urge you to try it for two months. Taper off if you've no positive reaction.

• Posted

Thank you ciderguy....having these issues is inhumane...I never had such things before April of last year, then embarked upon the journey to hades with med trials...feel I have no brain; no life. I am desperate for wellness as I have a child to support....I may give it a try...just so wary.
  • Posted

I was dagnosed with MDD with psychosis in July 2015. I now take 300 mg venlafaxine and15 mirtazapine a day and I'm happier and sleeping better than I have for years. For me it was a lifesaver. I hope if you take it that you will feel much better.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Thank you Phyllis...I'm glad it worked for you. I'm pretty terrified to try it to be honest....though I know something has to give in order for me to function again. I appreciate your feedback; helps a lot!

• Posted

You're welcome. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck.

Take care, 

Phyllis

• Posted

Thank you...I so pray for better days...best wishes to you as well.
  • Posted

hi kim , i make a transition from fluoxetine to cymbalta since two days, no comment
    • Posted

send me a message to know how you feel
    • Posted

Hi Anne....I haven't started the new med yet; am even contemplating if I should...

• Posted

Another Ann. Please keep posting, i am in same boat, should i or shouldnt i?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.