FLUOXETINE UPDATE .....HOPE

Posted , 118 users are following.

Hi

I thought i would just write and share my experiences to give a little hope to those who have just started fluoxetine and are suffering from the awful side effects... Hang in there! i am 6 months in now and i cannot believe how my life has changed, im laughing every day, i love my job im enjoying my wonderful children and my beautiful granddaughter, im moving house and i just feel my old self again, my friends are so happy for me they said i got lost for a while but they have been so supportive, and say that its great to have me back ! something i didnt think would happen 5 months ago believe me i had no motivation and suffered every side effect felt totally disconnected from the world, i have been where you are now! this site has been my life line and people who came through the other side gave me hope so by sharing this post with you i hope it will give you the encouragement and strength to carry on with the tablets, good luck to everyone and thank you all who have replied to me when i needed advice and reassurance. good luck love sharon xxx

32 likes, 334 replies

334 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started fluoxetine last saturday and started having the worst headaches I've ever had on Tuesday night it actually woke me up it was that bad and ever since I'm having them through the night and first thing in the morning is this a side effect of it or do I need to get myself checked out I feel so awful sad 
  • Posted

hi sharon in the beginning did you get blurry vision and did it get better astime goes on x
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Forgive me for butting in but I'm so glad you mentioned blurrred vision! I thought I was losinsg my sight but maybe it is Fluoxetine after all - hadn't thought of it because you are the first to mention it..

I don't know how long since I last cleaned my specs - forgetting to in depression - but last night I did and that improved things a lot, would you believe!!. Doh!

• Posted

Is disturbed sleep a part of getting onto Fluoxetine? Getting to sleep last night was a real problem but when I did, I didn't sweat so much - another thing that has started with Fluoxetine.

Today I feel there is some space between me and depression - not a long way, but space. The knot in my stomach is reduced and my head seems clearer. Here's hoping for a better day!

• Posted

Hi ive just recently started prozac about a day ago and am feeling terrible sad How were you able to deal with it ? I have school during this time aswell should I speak with my mom about talking to the school ? I dont know if I can go through the day with the side effects rolleyes Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Daaaniel

I've been taking it eight or nine days,I guess.

Sure you should speak to your Mum about talking to the school if she is supportive of you. Is there a Matron or Nurse or somesuch at school? Anyone you trust to keep a confidence?

I've spent my life trying to hide depression and thus isolating myself from help, understanding, a kind word, a touch, a smile of supprt. I'm doing it differently this time and from now on - it's amazing me how many people know all about depression from their own lives.

• Posted

Hi Daniel

So sorry you are having a hard time on prozac, please talk to your mum, school and Dr people can be very kind and helpful and this will help you cope, the side effects are awful but they do get better i promise. take care and good luck. 

• Posted

hi sharon ,when you first started taking flu i did read at one point that you needed glasses ! did you get them or did it wear off ?? as i have slight blurry vision in both eyes ,does this wear off ??

thanks sue

• Posted

Hi Susan

i did get blurred vision ( among every other side effect listed!!) but it does get better my eyes are not as good as ther used to be ( getting old lol) but much better now all the side effects have worn off good luck sue let me know how you get on sharon xxx

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Thank you very much for your message of hope. I'm in the 12nd day of Fluoxetine 20 mg (male, 83kg), and my days (as you well know) have been quite difficult. Sky high anxiety, lots of pressure on my chest, low mood, tiredness.

I'm counting the days and I hope to get there were you are. Thank you!

Danilo

• Posted

Hi Danilo

12 days in is very early days i thought i would get better straight away but these pills do take so long to kick in, with me i started feeling the effects after about 12 weeks and even then i had days where i felt spaced out and discmmected from everyone love, but now 6 months down the line life is great i cant tell you how grest that is to say that, i used to come onto this site and read about the great results and think am i ever going to get there? it will happen good luck and please keep in touch sharon xxxx

• Posted

sorry about the spelling my keyboard is old and worn and i cant see the letters lol i must invest in a new one !! love sharon xx
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

This is the sort of encouragement and inspiration I need! bet a lot of others do, too! Great to know you have made it back to the land of the living and still come here to encourage newbies. I'm so far down my rabbit hole seems like there can be no way out - but I got in so there must be! 

Great work you are doing here - many thanks.

• Posted

Thank you, Sharon!

I suppose that the side effects have subsided before the 12 weeks, right? Because 12 weeks with the anxiety I have right now is unbearable!

I had ups and downs today, which I think is a good sign. Anyway, I will of course stick with the treatment until I get better! Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Dan

Yes they do get less and less i am seven months in now and they have all gone believe me i never thought i would ever get to this point, this site is awesome though and gor me through the earlt days after about 8 weeks i started to feel so much better i hope this helps good luck Danilo keep in touch xxxx

• Posted

I was the same Carl i use to come on here and think i am never going to get to this point where there is light at the end of the tunnel, but you will its a slow process but you will get there, take care and keep in touch xxx
    • Posted

Hi Danilo,

Are you still taking fluoxetine?

Does it helped you?

Rgds

Alex

• Posted

Hi alex,

I'm still using fluoxetine. Taking 60 mg per day together with 300 mg of buproprion. I have no sign of depression anymore, since February.

And what about you?

Best,

Danilo

• Posted

I am using 20mg of fluoxetine and alprazolam 0.25 as needed or Propranolol as needed.

Today I am starting week 11 and I feel better most of the time.

I am thinking to up the dose or to stay on 20 until week 12 is full.

There are times when I feel bad health anxiety...especially when someone close Is sick....also I have sleep problems...waking earlier...

What is buproprion?

How Long are you on fluoxetine?

Do you take it only for depression?

I am from Macedonia...you?

Best regards,

Alex

• Posted

Don't be afraid to up the dose. It does not harm at all, apart from the initial side effects that go away with time.

I started taking fluoxetine (20 mg at the beginning) in October/November, and added bupropion to the treatment in January.

Bupropion is a drug used for smoking cessation and depression. It acts on different neurotransmitters. Fluoxetine acts primarily on serotonin, whereas it is believed that bupropion acts mainly on norepinephrine and dopamine. It tends to be very activating, which means that it tends to be good for the kind of depression that makes you unmotivated, slow, having concentration problems. It tends to make you sleep less though, and also might increase your anxiety.

Buproprion is a very good medication for depression, safe (as long as you don't go further than 300 mg and is not a petite woman, nor have history of seizures), does not diminish your sex drive (it tends to increase), and work for many people. Unfortunately, it is not approved in UK for depression, whereas it is in USA and in my country (Brazil). This means that only a psychiatrist can prescribe it for you.

I take those medications mainly because of depression. However, I'm a long anxiety sufferer, so fluoxetine also helps me with that part...

Best,

Danilo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.