FLUOXETINE UPDATE .....HOPE

Posted , 118 users are following.

Hi

I thought i would just write and share my experiences to give a little hope to those who have just started fluoxetine and are suffering from the awful side effects... Hang in there! i am 6 months in now and i cannot believe how my life has changed, im laughing every day, i love my job im enjoying my wonderful children and my beautiful granddaughter, im moving house and i just feel my old self again, my friends are so happy for me they said i got lost for a while but they have been so supportive, and say that its great to have me back ! something i didnt think would happen 5 months ago believe me i had no motivation and suffered every side effect felt totally disconnected from the world, i have been where you are now! this site has been my life line and people who came through the other side gave me hope so by sharing this post with you i hope it will give you the encouragement and strength to carry on with the tablets, good luck to everyone and thank you all who have replied to me when i needed advice and reassurance. good luck love sharon xxx

32 likes, 334 replies

334 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Sharon,

I started flu 12 days ago first on 20 and now on 40. There is a time when I feel a little relief but crisis are also present.

Pls reply if you still follow this forum.

It will be very helpful.

Rgds,

Alex

• Posted

Hi Alex so sorry I haven't been on for a while which I will explain later it does take time love I was 16 weeks in before I really felt the effects but please hang in there as my life is so different to what it was 12 months ago I am back to my normal self actually probably happier Alex and I don't think I could have done it with out fluoxetine or the help of some amazing People on here I had good days and bad days but after a while I realised I didn't have bad days any more it's the best feeling in the world you will get there Alex and if you need advice or just a rant don't be afraid to contact me I hope this helps good luck and hang in there xxxx
    • Posted

Dear Sharon,

Thanks for replying.

Your Words mean so much to me.

Did you had trouble with earlier waking up?

Br

Alex

• Posted

Oh Alex I was so unmotivated u would not believe I just did not want to get out of bed in the mornings it was horrible it does pass I promise if I'm honest I thought the pills would work after just a few weeks but it took so much longer I was spaced out for weeks totally disconnected from the world if u could see me now I'm a totally different person I'm so glad I stuck with fluoxetine although there were times I felt they were making me worse you will get there Alex xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon..

In this moment I am living in Total HELL...Anxiety rise through sky....I slept only 2 hours. I think I am going to dye...or get crazy....but I will stick with it whatever it takes....

Tell me some advice how to get over more easily...

Your words means a lot...

Thanks again

Alex

• Posted

I'm so sorry your feeling so low but all u have to remember is there is light at the end of the tunnel Alex just take it day by day and soon you will realise that things are getting a little easier without you even noticing before long the good days outweigh the bad it's not an easy road I know but it will be worth it in the end xxx
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

I was needing some encouragement. I've on 4weeks of flu at 40mg. I had a nervous breakdown a year ago and finally decided to get help because I want to feel like myself again. I broke down in the psychiatrist office yesterday because I don't want to feel like this forever with the anxiety, scared feeling and racing thoughts. I guess just need overall encouragement because I feel so needy and that is so not me.

• Posted

I know how u feel hun! I did OK on 20mg but when I went on 40mg I went crazy with anxiety. I'm not on sertraline. 4weeks is still early though. Keep strong xxx
  • Posted

Hi everyone. This thread has been great to read for encouragement.

I am in 5th week on Flux. and mornings are still awful for anxiety from the the moment my eyes open, also low mood and tiredness are a struggle throughout the day.

But in the last few days in the late evening I have been experiencing a small window of relative calmness, fingers crossed and hopeful.

Many times I have felt like giving up but this forum has been a lifeline, big thanks for the inspiration to keep going.

• Posted

I do hope so... On my 6th day starting on these. My head is constantly pounding, I feel lost, don't want to do anything, don't want anyone near me, feel guilty for everything, want to sleep all day and wired at night. Restless legs are something new!! I'm counting down the tablets every night the doctor told me to take them. Mood swings are out rageous!! I just want to feel normal again.... One minute I was okay struggling but okay now crying all the time.. Why have 5hey made me worse?? I'm constantly hungry too since 4th day. I'm on them for post natal depression of miscarriage 4months ago. I just don't see them ever working!!!! Getting worse not better!! I really hope they do work soon. I can't keep waking up full of hope for it all to be smashed to prices with stupid thoughts and crying!!
    • Posted

Hi, sorry to butt in... How are you feeling now? I'm on day 2 and feeling a little lost... Xx
  • Posted

Hi sharon. Could u help me ive increased my dose of fluoxtine from 20mgs to 40mgs and was just wondering do u know how long it takes to work and possible side effects x
  • Edited

Hi everyone, thank you for this discussion - reading it has made me feel a lot better though I feel I am intruding a little (sorry about that!) - I'm sure you're all off of this site and getting on with your lives now (hope so!) but wondered if anyone was around for an update? Really curious as to how your stories turned out. I'm on week 5/6 and seriously struggling... Need to know this isn't for nothing. Thank you all xxx
    • Posted

Hi Katie, just wondering how your feeling now since you last posted? I've been on fluoxetine for nearly a month, felt better the last week but yesterday I felt bad again! I hope things have improved for you 😊
    • Edited

Hi Georgia,

I'm feeling so much better now. It took a long time - I've been on Fluox over three months now and had a terrible time for about 8-10 weeks. It is a really difficult process and I was up and down like a yo-yo but I'm finally feeling like me again. I'm still a little anxious sometimes and a lot more tired than I used to be but never depressed. I go back to work next Monday (been off for four months).

I have really pushed myself for the past month, forcing myself to go out for walks, listen to music and talk to people. This was very hard for me as I literally stayed in bed for the first month and spoke to no-one but I believe forcing myself to do things has helped massively.

Keep at it - it really does get better, it just takes a while. Don't give up trying to make yourself feel good again. Post on this forum as often as you need to xx

• Posted

Thanks For replying Katy I wasn't sure I would get a response seeing as the post was a couple months old! I've had a good couple of weeks but felt rubbish yesterday, I think this was triggered by my 14 yr old son, he's a terrible worrier and as a result has experienced some anxiety himself, he has been having NLP which seems to have worked brilliantly but then I get a text from him last night telling me he's worrying again, that was it, my anxiety reappeared in full force, I couldn't eat or sleep! It's difficult because whilst I'm trying to get back to normal I still have my son to worry about which doesn't help but what can you do, your kids are your life and it makes me sad to see him upset over little things that he doesn't need to worry about! I suppose at least by Christmas I should be feeling back to my normal self (at least I hope so!!) glad your feeling much better, just a shame it takes so long to work! I'm having to work while feeling like this, it's a struggle but I can't take leave as I'm hoping for promotion soon 😔
    • Posted

That's okay - I check this site every so often still as it was such a huge help to me in the beginning.

It is very hard, I'm sorry you're struggling. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself - just take one day at a time. Teenagers are extremely resilient, I'm sure your son will be absolutely fine. You need to get yourself better so you can be strong for him, but that takes time and patience. You'll get there. Have you been offered counselling? I hear CBT is very good and free on the NHS.

Post into the main forum and see if you can find someone who is at the same stage as you - it helps to feel like you're going through it alongside someone.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks Katie, yes I'm signed up for a CBT group session on how to stop worrying, hoping that will also help!! Just taking one day at a time but I know I will get there in the end!! ☺️ Thanks for your kind advice!
    • Posted

Brilliant, I hope it helps. You're very welcome, keep us updated and post whenever you need to.

Take care xx

• Posted

Thank you KatyLost for the positive hope.

It trips me out to hear how long the med takes to start working,it sounds like some kind of delayed time release effect. I'm just glad to know that half way through its worth it and finally gets better. I'm just going to be starting one10mg capsule every other day and see how that goes. I'm trying to eventually ween of the Benzo Ativan due to feeling like a walking drunk,clumsy and off balance upon standing, plus my judgment for driving has been slightly off. So with that concern,I'm trying to believe SSRI will be better and less addictive. I've tried so many in the past and couldn't handle the side effects,but Prozac is one I have never tried and hoping for a better outcome. Wish me luck and pray for me to be brave and strong as I test Prozac out. Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts on here and support. Without you it would be much scarier.

I'm gonna try it at night at bedtime along with my other three meds,Trileptal,Zyprexa,andGabepetin.

Keeping my 0.5mg whole Ativan in the morning, and probably keeping the first dose of Gabepetin in the morning as well.

I don't want to be taking five pills all at bedtime. Eventually I'm hoping to ween of the Ativan. Well see how it goes. Any support and advice welcomed here. Thank.😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.