Fluoxetine week 3- struggling.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on fluoxetine just over three weeks and I'm still really struggling with side effects which I have had since I started taking it. Physically I've been having a lot of issues with insomnia/ fatigue, vivid dreams, nausea comes and goes. I've been too tired to do much most of the last three weeks and now I can't get to sleep at all or wake up all night long anxious. Mentally I have not noticed any improvements yet, I've been quite low and demoralised by the medication trial process (its been a few months now of being quite ill from side effects from different SSRIs). I've generally been pretty anxious without any relief. I don't like to take benzos.

My Dr said I need to come off it as soon as possible and try either a SNRI or Pregabalin as things are very unlikely to get better if they haven't yet. I know this is counter to what a lot of people have said on here about things improving much later, at 6 or 8 weeks or even later. That seems a very long time to wait with this level of disruption though. In the past I have ended up giving up on SSRIs because when i'm working its not practical to not be able to sleep or to be a zombie for weeks on end. I've also tried Buspirone, Escitalopram and Sertraline and had a bad experience.

I've been trying to power through with Prozac so far just hoping each day it will somehow get a bit better but it has not yet. My psychiatrist is very determined that I stop it but I am more comfortable with Prozac than the SNRIs/ Pregabalin, I just wish I could get it to work for me. I also feel like I have been through so much with it already if I stop now maybe it would have magically got better at 4 weeks and its a waste. I think I'd find it difficult to wait 3 months for results though if I'm not able to sleep properly or am too fatigued to do anything .

Any advice welcome!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi i myself been really ill.i was certaplram for 2 yrs then my anxiety got really bad again.for the past 4weeks ive been really strugglin no appetite stomach aching as soon as i get up, feeling so unwell, i was prescribed 20mg fluxotine 10 days ago and i feel so unwell,my anxiety is at its worse and i struggle to see how i will get through the day,only relief i have is i close my eyes for a while,but as soon as i open them again the nausua stomach aches etc come back,anyone else with this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.