Fluoxetine - what to do???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.  I have been on this medication for a couple of months and although I am not depressed now, I have all the side effects, and I don't know which is worse!!  I am totally spaced, feel disassociated, ditzy, forgetful and nauseous.  I also have a constant feeling of "impending doom".  Anyone else get this?  It's horrible.  I take a lot of medication as well, for diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol, so I don't know if it could be the wrong mix of pills.  I feel I would like a second opinion really.  Does anyone have any advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nannoo I had a terrible time using Fluoxidine I was on it for 5 weeks and I really thought I was going mad. I got to the stage where I couldn't stop crying I felt scared all the time and I couldn't go to work. My family finally intervened and made me go to the doctor or else the doctor was comming out to see me. He gave me one week of sedatives and during that week I detoxed off the Fluoxidine I then stated Celapax. I take it at night with a sleeping pill so I can sleep thru the worst of the side effects. I feel like a new person I am back at work and I haven't had a panic attack since the Fluoxidine has been out of my system. Go and talk to your doctor and ask for a change of drugs there are lots of options and you just have to find the right combination for you. Lots of love you will get well you just have to be proactive and if you can take a support person with you xx
  • Posted

Hi, i can totally empathise with you, i had the worst side effects, I mean all of them, I felt like i was going even "madder" my anxiety was terrible, I felt terrifed, sick, shaky, terrible thoughts coming into my head, one night I lay awake shaking the whole night my husband lay beside me holding my hands. I think if he hadnt been there i would have called an ambulance and say i needed admitted to psychiatric unit as i just couldnt take it. Lots of people advised me to go to dr as the medication must not have suited me, i went to Dr and she gave me diazepam which as a big help, that was when i was about 3 weeks into the med, i am now about 8 weeks and definitly coming out the other side. the GP said she would change it to a different one if i wanted but i was scared i would end up going through a whole other set of side effects so i just stuck with it,and thankfully things are now starting to look up. if you do decide to change ask the dr about the side effects of the new ones no point in putting yourself through it all twice. I just take every day as another step on the road to recovery, i know that in a few weeks i will really start to feel like my old self, i can feel the changes slowly, so i think it is working for me, after a very bad start i think i am getting better, i hope you start feeling better soon too
  • Posted

Did you start feeling this way all of a sudden or over a period of time taking Fluoxetine? What dose are you on? Did you just increase the dose by chance?

• Posted

I have those feelings too; it's a nightmare. I've only been on for 4 weeks...feel disassociated, spacey, odd/not myself, unsteady, unstable, crying, weak, sick stomach, heightened skin sensitivity, shaking....awful; hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I just quit after 3 weeks of taking it. Day 2 being off it, I couldn't stop scratching my head, back and face. I stopped because I was starting to feel disassociated and spaced out...couldn't think properly or get motivated to do anything! Like it stopped all mental functioning. Anyway, I guess it's just not for me. 

• Posted

I understand...I haven't found anything yet that made me feel like I did before the meds....horrible, horrible things being on the wrong medication. I really wish I had never taken any. Glad you are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.