Fluoxetine zombie

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, not a UK resident (anymore) but some interesting discussions on here and not much local help on the form of online forums.

I was put on citalopram by my doctor before moving for major depression, it started out helping with no real side effects, but then I started to go down again, went back and the Dr increased the dose to 40mg a day. After about a month and moving and starting a new job I felt good, happy again, my wife said she had her husband back again. So I stopped taking them, stupid I know. Slowly without noticing I have beven going downhill again, my wife is about to leave me and take my kids away I am so down. My new Dr put me on fluoxetine 20mg, and after 3 weeks I feel like a mindless zombie and don't feel anything at all, am tired worse than before, my sex drive has gone from little to non existent, and almost couldn't even care about my family leaving. Back to Dr on Monday morning, he said he prefered Prozac over fluoxetine bit perhaps Prozac is not for me, or I just need to Give it longer. Never felt like this on citalopram.

Anyone else care to share thier thoughts or experiences with me?

Thanks in advance,

CLIVE

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clive

Sorry to hear of your circumstances and experience of citalopram and fluoxetine.

I have been on 'flu' for 5 and a half years - the 1st 3 weeks at 20mg and then on 40mg ever since and am now coming off them extremely slowly. Everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to these damn anti depressants. if you were ok on Citalopram it should not make a difference what the doctor prefers - you should be on the drug that is best for YOU not him. That so annoys me.

I have never had experience of Citalopram so cannot comment on that. I did find that Flu took a lot longer than the leaflet with the drug said it would take to show results. 6-8 weeks in fact.

I had that zombie feeling too for a good while. My workplace was very understanding and allowed me to go part time until my system had got used to the drug.

I felt resigned to the fact that i was going to feel like this for a while and there was no point fighting the feeling as it was fruitless. The zombie feeling does pass, trust me.

I could have slept all day too. You have to learn to go with the flow and be selfish and have some 'me' time. Something else that helped me in the early stages was walking in the fresh air - walking round a park in my case, every day without fail. It took some doing though. Also try a vitamin supplement that contains a high dose of vitamin B12 as this is a vitamin lacking in those with depression. If you get nausea try anything with ginger in it - there are teas that serve this purpose.

Good luck and best wishes

• Posted

How long did the zombie feeling last? Iv been on them 5weeks and so tired, dowsey and not with it at all (intence scared feeling) thank you. 
  • Posted

hi clive,

im not suffering with depression myself, but my 19yr old daughter does.  she suffered side effects, shakes, insomnia, anxiety,headaches, and the list goes on, she is now on week 3 and they are reducing, but, everyone is different, you have 2 options, stya with the flu, and ride out the side effects, or go back, see your gp, or phone them, and ask for citalopram again? please just dont stop taking them. i hope you and your wife manage to work through it,

my daughter was convinced she needed to end it with her boyfriend of 3 years, convinced she didnt love him, but it now seems it was the depression altering her mind that much.

i can only offer the experiance we are going through, im not sure it will help you at all, but reading through the posts on here, helped me enormously, and gave me the information to help my daughter, i hope it helps you. x

• Posted

I know that this is an old thread. But Im experiencing similar symptom and it terrifies me. Currently on 40mg fluoxetine ,6 weeks in, treated for depression and anxiety. I havent noticed any lift on my moods since day 1. Although my cryings have stopped,but now I basically feel like a zombie for majority of the day. I cant bring myself to care just about anything. Cant cry even when im sad. Motivation is at an all time low. Is this just a side effect and will clear in time? Or should i ask for different meds? Please help. Thank you.
  • Posted

Prozac does work but it takes up to 12wks for therapeutic effects...I have been on and off meds since 2013...I feel everything you guys express...I hope to feel much better in the long run...I take my med in the evenings and I get good sleep.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.