Fluoxitine 20mg side effects?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on fluoxitine twice in the past for a year at a time and all I remember about the side effects is it made me yawn for 2 weeks.

I have been feeling awful anyway but I took the tablet for the first time yesterday and I just feel so ill. I felt panicky when i went to bed and now I just feel shakey and twitchy. My head feels funny, not painful but theres an odd feeling at the back of my head that I just can't describe. Maybe tingly/slightly numb? I can't describe it but its terrifying me.

I haven't taken a second tablet yet today but I'm just scared it's had a serious reaction. Does this sound like just a normal side effect that I should work through?

I was on a low dose of sertraline and I had to come off it after only 2 doses as it gave me retroactive anxiety or something and made me have panic attacks. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know this is not what you want to hear right now but most AD's make you feel worsr before you feel better they also take up to 6 weeks to work properly and get the full benefit from them,.

Taking them for a couple of days then stopping wont benefit you.

If these AD's dont suit you there are lots of others you can try but they do all have side effects

Speak to your doctor

Therapy is an option AD's alone dont fix anxiety

Stay Strong

• Posted

I know they make you feel worse. Before I went downhill I even explained to a friend that he had to give his meds at least a month to settle (the doctor apparently told him a week!) I just feel terrified like it's caused a serious reaction because my head feels so odd. Then again it didn't feel so great before and the sertraline scared me. The doctor told me to stop taking them immediately and I had to go to out of hours to get diazepam. I was on the fluoxitne twice so it must have been fine for me in the past and the doctor did say that I should be fine on them again. Just worried cuz I feel so weird.
    • Posted

They all make you feel weird at first it differs  some people it will start working in week 3 some it wont kick in to week 6 some people wont be able to stand the side effects and some AD's dont work at all on some people

But you do have to power through for the first few weeks its the nature of the beast that is anxiety.

Personally I would not take AD's but I have severe depression and need them more for that

As I said before there is a number of  other AD's if the one your on does not suit.there is no point flogging a dead horsesad

Take Carelol

cheesygrin

• Posted

Thank you. I don't want to take them but I just can't handle my anxiety anymore and figured if I was fine on them before I will be again. So it doesn't sound like I'm having serious side effects and I should just keep taking them for 3 weeks?
    • Posted

Consider therapy, I think with anxiety we have to train our brain to cope with it.

• Posted

I have counselling but my next appointment isn't until the 18th. 
    • Posted

Hang in there sweet but if it gets really bad go bak to your doctorconfused
    • Posted

I was told that if it does get really bad, just to come off them and I will go back to how I was before. It did that with the sertraline, I was bad for a few days after but went back to how I was before after that. I just feel so strange and out of it, I'm scared

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.