Fluoxitine withdrall

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all .i have been taking antidepressents now for 18 years. and am withdrawing from them.i have came off slowley .its 3 months now and still gett terrible side affects aching brain zaps the list goes on is anyone getting the same.thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

People underestimate what slowly tapering off is - 3 months is still quick which shows in the terrible side effects you’re having still. It really does pay to reduce by the smallest amount possible ie 5mg with each reduction lasting about 1-2 months and it usually takes about a year. It really does pay doing it that slow to avoid withdrawal effects.

The effects you’re having will eventually subside, but it can take quite a while yet. If you're suffering bad then speak to your doctor about reinstating a small amount of medicine again and stay on that until you feel better, then when you're ready reduce again but as said above.

• Posted

Ok thanks for that i will go and see did not realize could take so long.

• Posted

No I didn't either when I first withdrew from meds - that time it was 6 months and I halved meds each time, but that was too big a drop and too quick a time for me. The symptoms eventually eased off but it did take ages, I had a good time being meds free but restarted due to the stress of family illness. After a year on meds again I withdrew over a year reducing by 5mg each time and had absolutely no effect at all that time.

We are all different though and some people notice even small changes.

If your doctor reinstates meds then ask for the smallest dose and try that for some weeks before taking a bit more. I doubt you'd need to take the full dose you were on though.

Hope it helps - I know what those weird brain zaps are like though - to me it felt like a fly zapped in one of those blue lights lol.

• Posted

iv been off them 3 months after tapering off over 6 weeks

im still struggling, muddled memory, light headedness, insomnia, the list goes on.

i hope someone can give me hope that these feelings will stop

• Posted

Hi Jac

I imagine you'd got a delayed withdrawal from withdrawing from meds too quick - that often happens (no effect for weeks then it hits you). These meds usually take many months to come off - 6 months maybe and sometimes even a year to avoid tapering effects. My first time I came off Citalopram took about 6 months and I suffered for many months with withdrawal effect, then the second time I withdrew I spent a year coming off and doing it that slow I didn't have any withdrawal at all.

Did you withdraw with help from your doctor or just do it yourself? Everyone's different and the withdrawal effect could last weeks or months ..... with it obviously easing over time.

If you're suffering real bad then your doctor could reinstate a small amount of the medicine again which maybe alleviate some of the side effects you're having which is happening because your brain is missing the medicine you took. If you do that then its best to then wait until the feelings have settled before withdrawing slower and by a minimal amount.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thank u Kate.

My Dr advised me how to taper

I was doing ok them BOOM- insomnia, memory problems, mood all over the place, tears, tingling skin, headaches but the nausea is the worst

I feel like im going crazy.

Will this subside? Is there hope?

• Posted

It will subside over much time, but have suggested that you could talk to your about getting reinstated on the meds again with a small dose.

I've messaged you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.