Fluoxtine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have severe anxiety so bad that ave not been out my door in months.  I have been given Fluoxetine 20mg by the doctor but looking on teh internet has scraed me from taking these pills that can literly change my life and make me normal again, due to teh history of prozac which is fluoxetine said on teh internet people suicide cause of this drug and there is hoirrible side effects so is this drug really a good thing to take.  I am really paranoid to take this drug but i really need to take it

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

OK Ross, breath and relax! Take your medication and stay of the Internet. The Internet will drive you insane. I work in the medical field and a lot of my patients tell me they freak themselves out by b looking online. I'm guilty myself. All medications are gonna have some type of side effects, suicide is just like the most severe effect especially if u have a hx of depression. If you it makes you feel better, than take it and discuss any issues or concerns with your physician.

Good luck Rossg

• Posted

Please dont be frightened of taking fluoxetine.  It can have a few side effects for a couple of weeks while youre body gets used to it, but in the vast majority of cases these are barely noticeable.  

After a few weeks you should start to feel calmer and more in control and able to face situations in life without totally panicking.  This has worked for me and a number of other people I know who take it.  I would suggest that if you drink alcohol you make a big effort not to ever get really drunk while taking them, is some evidence that the combination of prozac and alcohol makes people quite impulsive and irrational.

Lots of Luck. 

• Posted

One should definitely not drink at all on medications, because alcohol neutrilizes the effects of the medication to help.  One or two should definitely not hurt at all. 
  • Posted

I am sure statistics will tell you that more people have benefited from prozac then haven't.  If the drug was really so dangerous, I am sure that the FDA would have banned it.  Quit looking up negatives, etc. on internet.  Give medications a chance to work, could be up 2 weeks before you feel the effects of them working.  If not consult you doctor, and try another. Not every medication works for everyone, we all have different chemistry. 
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies, i will start taking the pill tomorrow and hope it all goes well, the doctor said, if the pill has worsening effects, he can prescribe something else that may help but the horrible side effects are rare and most common side effects is a upsetr stomaxche and dry mouth and it should be ok to take.  Once again thanks for the replies you have made me feel more at ease about taking this medicine.
    • Posted

Wish you the best!  Remember don't rely solely on the medication, it is to aid us with physical symptoms, get our brain chemisty in proper working condition.  Don't forget to work on acknowleding anxiety thoughts release them don't judge them.  Possibly get counseling along with meds.  find ways to relax when have nothing important to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.