Flushing (Not a Hot Flash)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone have an onset of facial flushing (no sweating, cheeks feel hot)?  After eating tomato, avocado and some stuff with MSG I have really red cheeks, neck and chest.   Was tested for carcinoid (HIAA urine).  So strange though - never had this problem before  (42, regular periods but they keep saying perimeno)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You need to start changing your diet, because as you go through perimenopause your body will react to junk. Msg is really bad to consume in the first place. Start eating wholesome real whole and you'll avoid these types of reactions.

• Posted

Hi Desiree,

I'm 46, and I did have reactions like this to fresh tomatoes, and to several other things, for a few months about 3 years ago.  At the same time, I noticed I also could no longer drink alcoholic beverages without getting a stuffed up nose and headache.

Eventually, it developed to the point where I was breaking out in rashes in my chest, and had to figure out what the deal was or go insane.

I had never had any trouble with any food or drink in my life.

For me, a daily anthihistamine tablet and following a low histamine diet strictly for about 4 months healed me up, and I haven't had that particular problem since. I can eat anything I like now, but I still can't drink alcohol.  Which is fine, it wasn't a big part of my life anyway.

There are many resources describing low-histamine eating. The main thing is to eat foods as fresh as possible....  histamine is created/increased in a lot of foods as they age.

I hope this gives you a place to start your research, and come back and keep us posted on how it goes!

• Posted

Hi Sara, thank you for your input. I, too, took a daily antihistamine and still do at times to combat some of the food allergies I react to. Luckily, for you it was short-lived for me I'm still dealing with the allergies even upon eating fresh fruits and veggies, organically grown too, which is now going on 4 years.

At least it's not a major set back.

• Posted

Wow, Sochima, I am so sorry you are still battling that! It is miserable!

Did you have any food allergies before the peri that you know of?

Do you have kids with food allergies?

Trying to piece together some knowledge from people who live it, as the docs don't seem to be concerned. Of course, they aren't living it.

Hugs to you!!

• Posted

Hi Sara, yes I had horrible food allergies way before perimenopause ever came into my life. I couldn't even eat fruits or vegetables cooked at home. Then I decided to wash all my fruits and vegetables with soap. Mystery solved, pesticides were literally making me sick. It took about a year to get my system to flush out all the poisons that had accumulated in my body.

Later, since my stomach was still having problems with digestion I started taking probiotics. I finally started absorbing the foods I was eating and gaining weight since I was under weight for my height. Years later, perimenopause hit me and again allergies flourished. An antihistamine cures so many thing's, that it literally keeps the doctor away, lol. I worked in the medical field, retired from it, and to be honest where I live nurses and doctors are not so ignorant about hormones causing many symptoms. Some nurses seem to know the signs of perimenopause as some have said to me, this sounds hormonal. My gyne knows her stuff and is very up to date with all things perimenopause and menopause. So much I haven't seen her in 2 years. No need I'm doing well just the allergies which show up on occasion and my antihistamine takes care of it.

I feel sorry for some of the ladies here who have the worst medical services. Women here are so up to date on the latest that some question the doctors on them. It sounds to me as if a lot of women are just barely knowing what this change in life is. Good thing you're not having it difficult.

Hugs to you too!

• Posted

Hi Sochima, I have a daughter with food allergies, and I was in Peri when she was conceived. I have always wondered if there is a connection, since I never had food allergies befois that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.