Fluttering heart after started taking??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi have just started propanolol - 20mg 3 times a day and the night after I had the worse heart palpitations I've ever had, I still have it 2 days after - feels like my heart is fluttering and I can't hardly do anything with out getting worn out! I suffer from Graves' disease- over active thyroid but it is meant to be stable at the moment. Has anyone had this reaction too since first starting?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are having problems, Holly.  Perhaps your dose needs adjusting.  Would recommend you talk to your doctor.  Why was the propranolol prescribed for you?  

Pam

• Posted

Hi pam, yes as my over active thyroid causes a fast heart beat but it's stable at the moment!

• Posted

Hi, I was taking 10mg Upto 3 times a day and felt awful on them, now I take 10mg as and when I need them and feel much better, hope this helps.
    • Posted

Oh really, that's good to here! When you say felt awful on them what to you mean by this? Thanks

• Posted

Hi mazy123, could I ask about how you take these tablets. My doctor has told me to take 10mg as and when I need to. Do you literally take one if you are feeling anxious or do you take them for a week etc then stop through a stressful petiod? I'm asking because when I first got the tablets my anxiety was horrendous and they did work very well but I had bad side effects for around a week. I was so exhausted after taking the first tablet I couldn't get out of bed. The side effects mostly cleared but did not dissappear . After about four weeks on them 10x 3 daily I felt almost human and my doctor then said to only take as and when. I didn't take another . It has been months. My anxiety is still with me and I'm managing it by my self because I'm scared of the side effects I had when I first took the tablets. There are days when I could easily take a tablet to manage my stress. If I could take these tablets only when I needed to, for example take just one tablet one day and nothing the next, without side effects this would be my solution. And I do need a solution. I'm existing at the moment, not living. Others have written that you need to take continuously and to wean off?? I would like to take these like paracetamol for a headache. For example, if I feel anxious take a tablet. If I don't, don't. Is this how you take them? Do you have side effects? Any advise will be helpful. I'm a busy mum. And secondary school teacher. I'm not accessing my life at the moment. Just getting through the days trying to minimise my stress. Thank you. X

• Posted

Hi Alison, I take them when my heart starts to race to slow it down, I don't need to take them everyday, just 10mg, as and when, sometimes can go a week without taking them, I also take the kalms herbal tablets, if I start to feel anxious, hope this helps.

• Posted

So sorry to hear you have had this problem with propranolol. I was first prescribed it for my anxiety long time ago, and then I am taking it now to control my arrhythmia, irregular heart beat from a. fibrillation. Please talk to your doctor as soon as possible and find a solution!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.