Fluttering in the ears?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I saw ENT today, had a hearing test which was fine.

Basically told its tinnitus nothing can be done.

May be caused by my antidepressants may not be!!

I've stated getting more frequent fluttering like something is moving in my ear. It happens in both ears not at the same time. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds or goes on for longer.

I asked the ENT lady about it and she says its just part of the tinnitus.

Has anybody else had this?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had a similar intermittent fluttering sound in my ears which turned into a constant ringing in the ears after about 5 months.

I've had a number of tests done and the only conclusion they could come up with is potential nerve damage caused by a virus. The fluttering in my ears, based on my ENT's opinion, was muscle spasms. He indicated that the nerve damage and ringing could heal over time, but may not. The only positive he could draw on was that it was not related to the tiny hairs in the inner ear, which if you lose them, the ringing can never be healed.

• Posted

The fluttering has disappeared, but not the constant ringing. To be honest, I have got more used to it, so it's not bothering too much anymore. The sooner you accept it, the easier it becomes to manage.
  • Posted

What other investigation have you had done and have you had any other symptoms like loss of balance or dizziness ? I had an Mri scan and they found the cause of my tinnitus as an acoustic neuroma which thankfully is not growing and should not need any treatment.
    • Posted

Oh gosh is it just in one ear then? I'm having an MRI too so I will see.
    • Posted

yes just the one ear. glad your having an Mrs just to check.Im sure you won't have anything like that but best to check. I think Glenn Harrold tinnitus hypnotherapy app would be wort a try or they can refer you on the NHS to a tinnitus group that helps you cope with it .good luck 
  • Posted

yes I get the fluttering ... I describe it as something moving around in my ear ... I have been told its the tiny hairs inside the ear just moving around.
  • Posted

A flutter sound that does not keep time with your pulse would be a spasam within the ear, the tensor tampani or something like that... I'm bad with spelling. and nothing to worry about if you have no other symptoms. Tinnitus is just a generic name given to any bodily sound your ear picks up but normally it refers to ringing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.