flying .... after surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi there.... i have had a double bunion removal and hammer toe straightened on 11th May.  I am still in some discomfort and still got lots of swelling really... i am due to go on holiday 11th August but feel very anxious about flying so soon after.. has anyone else gone on hols soon after this op xx thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jilly I had my op on 28th November just one foot and flew to lanzorote on 31St December I wore my velcro shoe to fly mainly to make people aware of my foot but I'm glad I did as my foot was quite swollen when we got there but I fine so if you've not had any major problems you should be ok enjoy your hols .
  • Posted

3 months is exactly the time I was told by my surgeion to wait before flying. I took two nine-hour flights four months after my first foot surgery, no problems. I didn't wear flight socks, but it's probably not a bad idea.  I have read on this forum somewhere recently - someone went on a trip to Italy about two weeks after her surgery. I personally wouldn't have made such a trip so soon, but mostly because I would have been upset not to be able to get around and enjoy the sights!
    • Posted

hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question so much appreciated, this site is so good, its real people with the same issues... i have noted all you mention and take all the advice... and wish us all happy feet for the future x
  • Posted

Hi Gilly

i was due to fly to New York at 8 weeks post op. My surgeon was happy for me to fly (compression stockings recommended) but was keen to point out I wouldn't be able to do much walking. It was a business trip so I chose not to go, my surgeon said he would have encouraged me if it was a holiday and I would have been taking it easy - it was only the being on my feet that was an issue and not the flying. Have a lovely holiday!

• Posted

hello julie.... thank you so much for getting back to me.... my replies have been so helpful to me, this site is so good because its real people with the same issues... I feel alot more confident now about going on my hols its only a two half hour flight to spain and i will be just resting... i must say though julie i would not like to go through it all again its been one of the most painful experiences i have ever had, but hopefully over the worse now, many thanks and wish us all happy feet for the future x
  • Posted

Hi, I went on holiday 8 weeks after a similar op to you (but just one foot).  It was a 2 hour flight to Venice.  The flight was fine.  I got up several times to walk around during the flight.  In Venice I wasn't able to be as active as I wanted, but I managed with lots of coffee stops and friendly restaurants who didn't mind giving us a table for four so I could put my foot up on a chair! I also had my extremely comfortable wide fitting shoes with Velcro fastenings so I could loosen them when my foot swelled.  

You have have quite a few weeks before you go.  I found my foot improved week by week.  I'm sure you'll be fine!  Have a lovely holiday!

• Posted

hi judy.... thank you so much for getting back to me with reply, that has been so helpful to me and has reasurred me so much, i have found this site so helpful, its real people with the same issues... i have noted all you have said and taken onboard your advice, i love a coffee shop and people watching so i think i will be ok... i do like abit of retail too but think ill have to give bag shopping a miss this time... hopefully by the time i go the swelling should be better.... but i must say judy i would never have this done again, i had two done because so many people said if you have one you would not go back for the second... ohoooo yer too right, but hopefully the worse is over now, once again thank you again for taking time to reply x
  • Posted

Gilly,

I had a double lapidus & other stuff, back working@ 7weeks, and walking about quite well.

don't cancel your holiday!

make sure you ask for assisted boarding, then you'll be wheeled through both ways, bypassing queues and have priority seating on the plane, also take your crutches.

you'll be fine, just make notes of what you can do today, so when you read them back in a weeks time you'll be amazed how far you have come on.

keep in there.

caroline xxx

• Posted

hi caroline, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question, i feel so much better now after reading peoples advice, i have noted all you have said and will do that, hopefully the swelling will be down abit more by the time i go, i am having the pins out on the 29th june, so seeing them out will also show me progress... thank you once again so much appreciated xx
  • Posted

Hi

I am now 6 months post op. .. 6 X hammertoes.

Recently took a two hour flight to Spain and my advice would be flip flops or sandals on the flight advices I wore my converse trainers advices nd my toes were exceptionally swollen after the flight but 8 days chilling on a sun lounger has definitely helped overall.

my toes are still very swollen and bruised looking but pretty and straight

enjoy your hols

• Posted

hello marie.... thank you so much for getting back to me with your advice so much appreciated, i have taken on board all what you have said, my flight is also to spain so not too long, at the moment i could not even get a flip flop on but hopefully by the time i go which is 11th august i can... i will only be chilling so plenty of time for swelling to heal.. i must say though had i only had one done i would not had gone back for the second.. lol  so i am glad i had to the two... many thanks again and thanks for the holiday wish x
  • Posted

Hi

I am now 6 months post op. .. 6 X hammertoes.

Recently took a two hour flight to Spain and my advice would be flip flops or sandals on the flight advices I wore my converse trainers advices nd my toes were exceptionally swollen after the flight but 8 days chilling on a sun lounger has definitely helped overall.

my toes are still very swollen and bruised looking but pretty and straight

enjoy your hols

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.